![]() |
| Greenshank Tringa nebularia |
Sunday 27 September
The promise of dry weather for the morning so out of the house just before 8.30 to walk along the Warsash shore to the Spit and then on down to the Meandering Pool and back. Two hours birding produced 30 species with seven coming as I made my way back from the Spit.
Once at the coast just beyond the village's slipway, Black-headed Gulls, Turnstones, many Black-tailed Godwits and Redshanks could be seen between here and the navigation pier. As I walked alongside Strawberry Fields, looking down I could still these waders along with the occasional Oystercatcher and then approaching the pier itself a good number of Herring Gulls along with twenty-one Mallards foraging on the mud. Near the pier at the water's edge a couple of Little Egrets. Both Woodpigeons and Robin were seen as I walked along the path and Carrion Crows alongside the Mallards.
![]() |
| Little Egret Egretta garzetta with Black-headed Gulls Larus ridibundus |
On the other side of the pier more Redshanks plus a single Greenshank. Still plenty of Black-tailed Godwits but also a couple of Curlew.
![]() |
| Black-tailed Godwits Limosa limosa |
Continuing on down to the Spit I found Black-headed Gulls but only three recently-arrived Wigeon. A pair of Cormorants passed inland overhead. As I walked down to the Scrape a number pf barn Swallows overtook me overhead but upon arrival fount e area completely empty and the only bird life a couple of Magpies on the exposed bottom. Continuing on a Linnet in the gorse area and arriving at the Meandering Pools found plenty of water - but n birds. Time to retrace my steps and as I started back a Meadow Pipit and a total of fourteen Canada Geese heading northwards. A Kestrel was hovering overhead and then I was back beyond the Scrape when I found the first of three Stonechats and a single Blue Tit.
![]() |
| Greenshank Tringa nebularia |
A Chiffchaff as I passed through the spinney and I was back in the lee of the Spit. With the much further in the birds were being pushed towards me and her, on the still exposed green flats I first found a handful of Ringed Plover and then a half-dozen Dunlin. In amongst the resting Black-headed Gulls a small group of Sandwich Terns and then a couple of Greenshanks. Also close by a trio of Little Egrets and a Curlew.
![]() |
| Sandwich Terns Sterna sandvicensis |
Finally, back at the navigation pier and stopping to check the gulls on the homeward side finally found the "local" Yellow-legged Gull being photographed by another birder. Still both Redshanks and Black-tailed Godwits around as well as many Black-headed Gulls and just off the water's edge a single Great Crested Grebe. The final bird of the day was a House Sparrow inspecting the stacked crabbing pots back at the slipway.
![]() |
| Redshanks Tringa totanus |
Birds seen:
Canada Goose, Wigeon, Mallard, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Little Egret, Kestrel, Oystercatcher, Ringed Plover, Dunlin, Black-tailed Godwit, Curlew, Redshank, Greenshank, Turnstone, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Sandwich Tern, Woodpigeon, Barn Swallow, Meadow Pipit, Robin, Stonechat, Chiffchaff, Blue Tit, Magpie, Carrion Crow, House Sparrow, Linnet.
![]() |
| Sandwich Terns Sterna sandvicensis |
For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.









No comments:
Post a Comment