Wednesday, 9 September 2026

Cabo de Gata with the Arboleas Birding Group

Wednesday 9 September

Well, well, well! Looks as if the Sun came out to play and even if only the three of you the Arboleas Birding Group found not only some master birds in Golden Eagle and Iberian Grey Shrike but also a little bit of adventure with off-road rescues.  But, Cabo de Gata is still my favourite site in Almeria.

Cabo de Gata  -  Wednesday 9th September

I drove myself in the truck down to Cabo de Gata.  Yet again I'd had a bad night so was slightly comatosed.  The knee is a little better, but I've run out of the medication so the pain is returning.  There were areas of sea mist/fog en route but by the time I was at the first hide the sun was out.  I hadn't logged any birds on my way from the motorway.  As I relaxed and came to my senses in the truck there was a steady stream of south bound Barn Swallows passing by. 

I commenced the real birdwatching when I was joined by Trevor.  A scan of the salinas in front of me from left to right produced Greater Flamingo, Mallard, Black-tailed Godwit, Black-winged Stilt, Avocet and Slender-billed Gull. 

Visually I had now reached the rocky causeway.  There were 11 Grey Herons there and on the shrubbed causeway together with Little Egrets and a single Spoonbill.  A solitary Eurasian Curlew was stationed at our end of the rocks.  We were joined by Kevin.  He soon picked up a Marsh Harrier to our left and a Kentish Plover.  I added a Greenshank.  Kevin scanned the shrubland behind us and found the Iberian Grey Shrike he was looking for plus Collared Dove and Spotless Starling.

Iberian Grey Shrike (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

We adjourned for liquid refreshments as it was beginning to get hot and humid.  House Sparrows joined us.  We drove to the beach opposite the second hide.  I had already decided I'd not walk to the hide and Kevin concurred with my decision because of the heat.  I scanned the relatively calm sea  and found a single Cory's/Scopoli's Shearwater.

We carried on to the public hide seeing a Thekla Lark en route.  From the hide Kevin found a Dunlin and I spotted a 40+ line of Black-necked Grebes.  Kevin found some Shelduck. There were a few Lesser Black-backed Gulls on the right hand salina.  I saw a distant "black" bird flying over the far side.  Kevin locked onto it with his scope to confirm a Glossy Ibis.  We decided enough was enough so left the parking area.  Just down the road I did my good deed for the day.  A Spanish couple had dropped their vehicle's front axle into soft sand and were spinning the front wheels to no effect.  With Trevor's help, my truck in 4x4 and my ever ready steel hauser we dragged them out.  You think it's all over but no.  As the Irish comedian Jimmy Cricket used to say, " And there's more!"  Trevor was following me through the plastic greenhouse shortcut.  We were approaching the main road at the far end when I spotted a large bird of prey perched on an electricity pylon.  A Golden Eagle.  As it flew off there were no white markings suggesting an adult.

Golden Eagle (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

A great finish to the day.  24 species seen with two mates.
Regards, Dave

 For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment