 |
| Bearded Tit Panurus biarmicus |
Monday 28 September
Up early and over at Farlington Marshes before 8am in the hoe that I might see the local Bearded Tits. I was not to be disappointed. First the hearing of the "pings" then a first sight, first photograph and it suddenly seemed almost at one that at least seven were moving backwards and forwards across the track to the opposite reed bed. What a wonderful sight and so disappointing that the photographs do not do justice to these beautiful little birds. With no intention of walking the outer circuit of he site I stayed put for almost an hour enjoying the fabulous sight. Who knows hen next I might get a similar opportunity. Not only Bearded Tits as within an hundred yards six Cattle Egrets were foraging amongst the cows.
 |
| Bearded Tits Panurus biarmicus |
To give an insight as to what was happening at the time we had a handful of Reed Buntings and at least seven Stonechats immediately in front of us and just off to the side had recorded Long-tailed Tits, Chiffchaffs, Dunnock and many Robins. Many Mallards, a few Coot and Gadwall on the pond area and Carrion Crows and Magpies behind us as a Little Egret flew across and on over the Canada Geese flock and up river.
 |
Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis
|
When the time came for me to move on I took the riverside path noting the very many Teal, Mallard and a few Wigeon. Scores of Black-tailed Godwits, Lapwing and Redshank resting at the edges. Further on up a number of resting Shelduck amongst the Canada Geese. A short rest at the bench half-way up the river helped me find first a Blackcap then both Great and Blue Tits. Needless to say, so many Black-headed but only a handful of Herring Gulls. A second cock Pheasant was seen as I made my way along the grassy path. No less than five Grey Herons noted during this walk and as I approached the sea wall I found a large mixed flock of approximately forty Goldfinch and 20 Linnets. Just the one Chaffinch had been seen all morning and no sight of a Blackbird.
 |
| Pheasant Phasianus colchicus |
From the observation point overlooking the lake I noted more Black-tailed Godwits, Teal and Coot whereas on the harbour side a single Curlew and over three hundred recently-arrived Pintails. Before leaving a Kingfisher landed below the seats giving a very close and clear view. Making my way back to the car for the homeward journey I once again saw the female Kestrel noted as I crossed the meadow towards the sea wall.
 |
Kingfisher Alcedo atthis
|
 |
| Kestrel Falco tinnunulus |
Birds seen:
Canada Goose, Shelduck, Gadwall, Wigeon, Mallard, Teal, Pintail, Pheasant, Cattle Egret, Little Egret, Heron, Kestrel, Moorhen, Coot, Lapwing, Black-tailed Godwit, Curlew, Redshank, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Rock Dove, Woodpigeon, Kingfisher, Dunnock, Robin, Stonechat, Cetti's Warbler, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Bearded Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Starling, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Reed Bunting.




 |
Bearded Tits Panurus biarmicus
|
 |
Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis
|
 |
Grey Heron Ardea cinerea
|
 |
| Shelduck Tadorna tadorna |
 |
| Curlew Numenius arquata (Front left) with Pintails Anas acuta |
 |
| Well concealed Moorhen Gallinula chloropus |
 |
| Linnets Carduelis cannabina |
 |
| Goldfinches Carduelis carduelis |
For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.
No comments:
Post a Comment