Wednesday 2 September
May only have been 22 species for the opening visit of the new season for the Arboleas Birding Group but, my word, it included some very special species including Bee-eater, Woodchat Shrike and Black-eared Wheatear amongst others. So, all looks very positive for the coming months and, all being well, Dave himself will soon be back to fully fit and well-recovered. Looking forward to reading about the coming exploits.
Sierra de Maria - Wednesday 2nd September
Before I do the bird report I'll give you an update on my mobility. Short precis...started having pain in left knee. After 10 days went to the GP. X-Ray. He concluded I had a bone spur between the joint. Put me on tramadol/paracetamol and anti inflammatory meds. Sent report to the Traumatology dept. Went back for results a week later. Seen by locum. Traumatolgy didn't want to see me. Do be dealt with by medication and physiotherapy. Still in pain. Given stronger painkillers. After 4 more days of increasing pain went to A&E. Doctor checked X-ray. Said I had ripped my meniscus and ligaments. New tablets. Got Physio appointment. Assessed. I have damaged my right hand tendon. Got scan in a couple of weeks. Walking much better with heavy duty knee brace!
I met Trevor at the Overa hotel and he drove me up towards the Sierra de Maria. Birds were very few and far between. First bird was a House Sparrow in the town. Arriving at La Piza I attempted to refill the bird feeders with peanuts....Not having Nigel's fancy funnel I lost half a bag onto the ground but managed to half fill one of them. The 6 or so Jays were having a field day picking the nuts up off the ground! Next to arrive was a Nuthatch! As we sat drinking luke warm coffee/tea we added Great and Blue Tit. We were joined by Steve and Caroline. I'd say it was the dream team only because I'd only had one hours sleep!
| Nuthatch (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns) |
We commenced the loop. The only bird I caught a glimpse of was a Woodchat Shrike. Behind us Steve and Carolyn had added Kestrel and Carrion Crow. At the village we only saw Goldfinches. Carrying on we spotted flocks of Woodpigeon and the odd Crested Lark. I was elated to find two perched Bee -eaters on a shrub. At the cliff face we added some Barn Swallow. Trevor spotted a Black Wheatear. I stayed with the vehicles as the others ventured to the far side. I heard a Red-legged Partridge. Nothing else was added to the list.
| Bee-eaters (PHOT): David Elliott-Binns) |
Moving on we had a fleeting sighting of a Black-eared Wheatear and a Hoopoe. At the cave village we added Collared Dove. The hamlet produced a second Kestrel, seen by Carolyn. Stopping at the trough we saw three Turtle Doves. Heading back to La Piza, a Griffon Vulture flew over our car, only seen by Steve and Carolyn who were behind us. They headed home as Trevor and I had lunch. We added Chaffinch to the list.
| Turtle Dove (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns) |
"Only" 22 species seen, but some good birds in there. It was a cool 22c when we arrived and rose to 31c later on. A great day birding to start our autumn series off.
Best wishes sent to Peter (1), Les and Carol
Please find below an email I received from Jennifer Dickinson. What an amazing donation. I'm organising a plaque to be put up next to Adrian's in the Botanical Garden for Bill Dickinson, Juda Hudson and Richard Hirons.
Regards,
Dave
Attached is some information regarding the money raised in Bill's memory which was donated to the Andalucian Bird Society, and the very nice response from them and Salarte. I know that you were intending to donate your field meeting's collection for 2025 to them in Bill's name, and thought you and your members would like to see a photograph of the plaque which Salarte has sited at the main entrance to the Trebujena Marshes.
It is comforting to know that some good has come from Bill's very very sad passing and that he will still have a small presence among the birds and salinas that he cared so much about.
Best wishes
Jennifer
For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:
Post a Comment