Friday, 25 September 2026

Hamble River, Warsash

Lapland Bunting Calcarius lapponicus

Friday 25 September

Mid-afternoon and the tide now just about out so took w walk across the road and on down to the Hamble River for a walk up to the conservation area and back to see if the recently visiting Lapland Bunting might still be about.  A few Black-headed and even fewer Herring Gulls about along with a number of Redshanks as I made my way past the ferry landing stage.  Stopping to check the resting Cormorant and then a handful of Ringed Plovers I noted, up ahead of me, the small group of birders which would seem to indicate that the Lapland Bunting had been located.

Yes, the bird was happily foraging in a very small area of vegetation of no more than a square metre right next to the main path and so giving wonderful, if obstructed, views which would require a lot of patience if wanting a half-decent photograph.  (If checking your relevant "Bird Guide," please remember that this bird is also often referred to as a "Lapland Longspur."

Lapland Bunting Calcarius lapponicus

With the bird still foraging amidst the undergrowth I took the walk up to the  conservation area, noting the Curlew that passes overhead, where I found the first Wigeon had arrived for the winter to join the two score Teal.  Also present a lone Greenshank and six resting Grey Herons.  On the sheltered water beyond the old wreck a single Little Grebe.

Little Grebe Tachybaptus ruficollis

Eight Canada Geese were also resting in the area and a couple of Carrion Crows were also seen.  IAfter the six Rock Doves (Feral Pigeons) had arrived I started on my way back and finished with twenty species sighted as I recorded both an overflying Rook and a couple of Magpies as I left the site.

A mixed group of (from back left): Greenshank Tringa nebularia, Black-headed Gull Larus ridibundus, Wigeon Anas penelope, Teal Anas crecca, Black-tailed Godwit Limosa limosa

Birds seen:

Canada Goose, Wigeon, Teal, Little Grebe, Cormorant, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Oystercatcher, Ringed Plover, Black-tailed Godwit, Curlew, Redshank, Greenshank, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Rock Dove, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Lapland Bunting.

Greenshank Tringa nebularia 

Lapland Bunting Calcarius lapponicus

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment