Wednesday 16 September
All happening up in Almeria with members of the Arboleas Birding Group all seemingly chasing their own tails! Didn't know whether to laugh or cry seeing the exploits of Kevin chasing around Cabo de Gata with then Barrie and Beryl enjoying what Villaricos had to offer bird-wise. But my word, between them they managed to see some good birds so not all to waste and, no doubt, they enjoyed being back out amongst the local bird life. With a bit of luck and good wind perhaps the whole group will turn up in the same place next week, s good luck with that Dave and co!
Cabo de Gata and Villaricos: Wednesday 16th September
Preparing the campervan before I left home late on Tuesday afternoon, I could hear Bee-eaters passing over and then, as I came out of the front door, there was one sitting on a wire above the front garden. An auspicious start!
![]() |
| Bee-eaters (PHOTO: Bob Wright) |
Arriving just beyond the Cabo de Gata campsite at about 6pm, I discovered I had forgotten my binoculars. Clearly, after the long summer break, I was unfamiliar with this birding lark. Or maybe I can blame the Bee-eaters. Fortunately, I did have the ‘scope.
A walk across the steppe eventually brought me to the ‘charco’, the pool. The air was alive with hirundines which, as far as I could tell, were all Barn Swallows. I made my way towards the seaward end, logging Coot, Common Sandpiper, Slender-billed Gull, Greenshank (4), Greater Flamingo (71), Black-winged Stilt, and singles of Redshank, Black-necked Grebe and Dunlin. I thought I could hear (but not see) Dartford Warbler so I put Merlin on, which confirmed it.
![]() |
| Dartford Warbler (PHOTO: Bob Wright) |
Disruption from cyclists meant there were no waders at the beach end, though I did have flying Yellow-legged Gull over the beach. On the way back I added Moorhen, Sardinian Warbler, Thekla Lark and Wood Pigeon.
Racing against sunset, I drove to the Lay-by Hide at the Salinas and managed to add Little Egret, Avocet and Black-tailed Godwit. Just 19 species so far. A sea dip at Cabo de Gata village just as the sun was setting prepared me for an evening in the van.
In Cabo de Gata village first thing on Wednesday, I added Collared Dove and Spotless Starling. The renovation of the old Guardia Civil tower looks to be almost finished but I fear the new rendering on the outside means the hole-ridden masonry favoured by Jackdaws is a thing of the past. Certainly no Jackdaws there today.
Back to the Lay-by about nine o’clock in hope of more species. 09.30 came and went and I remained Billy No-Mates (as Dave had predicted, haha!). I added Kentish Plover, Spoonbill and, in the usual place, a Southern Grey Shrike. Inside the hide was a Spanish bird photographer. I was outside when I saw a Marsh Harrier flying high from the direction of the village. I rushed into the hide, pointing to the right and saying: “¿Has visto este rapaz?” He swung his lens round as it came into view and rattled off a motor-drive sequence as the bird swung in front of us and landed, to then be unfortunately hidden among the vegetation. We’d had good enough views though and he was suitably grateful.
On to the Second Hide. A sea-watch produced just gulls and the only new species from the hide itself was a Lesser Black-backed Gull. From there I drove slowly towards the saltworks, scanning the seaward fences. Seeing a couple of LBJs, I pulled in fifty metres beyond and got the scope out. Just as I was finding the birds, they flew. You’ll have guessed what I thought they were but my view had been too fleeting to be certain. I drove on and again saw two LBJs some distance away. Another careful stop. Scope out, and this time I locked on to them. Definitely two, no, three Trumpeter Finches, then more, further along the fence, and flitting up from the ground. Nine in total. Great to see these again.
![]() |
| Trumpeter Finch (PHOTO: Bob Wright) |
At the Original Hide the water level was much higher than last week. I had to search hard to find anything new and finally only spied four Shelduck. Also notable, in the usual area, the raft of Black-necked Grebes had increased to about 100 birds. Driving back, I added Blackbird and Magpie. A total of 30 species, not a great quantity but definitely some quality and as for the Trumpeter Finches, that made up for my "Billy No-Mates status."
|
Beryl and I landed at Almería airport at 09:25 this morning and collected the hire car from Goldcar. Managing to get away just after 10 and seeing that the previous two Wednesday birding trips were to Maria and Cabo de Gata, I assumed that this week's trip would be to Villaricos. So we drove to Salar de los Canos in order to catch up with the group. But alas there was no sign.
![]() |
| White-headed Duck (PHOTO: Bob Wright) |
We then drove round to the Aquapark and viewed from the concrete sluice. The only new birds there were a Cattle Egret, Cetti’s Warbler and a second Kingfisher.
A good 90 minutes birding with 27 species seen.
.jpg)

.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment