Thursday, 10 September 2026

Titchfield Haven Nature Reserve

Grey Heron Ardea cinerea

Thursday 10 September

An interesting couple of hours at Titchfield Haven Nature Reserve this morning concentrating on the "Boardwalk Trail" on the eastern side of the reserve.  Leaving the car I first called in at the public viewpoint overlooking the mouth of the River Meon where I found many Mallard and Gadwall plus Cormorants, Little Egret, Moorhen, Coot and Redshank.  As I made my way to the road bridge I also picked up the feeding Glossy Ibis on the far bank.  In the harbour itself, now full of water as it approached high tide, many Mallard plus a handful of Turnstone.  Also present the adult Mute Swans with their two well-grown cygnets.

Many Canada Geese Branta canadensis with a resting Woodpigeon Columba palumbus in the foreground

Walking the path to wards the Meadow Hide I recorded Blue Tit, Robin and Cetti's Warbler and once in the hide scores of Canada Geese along with three Herons and six Little Egrets.  Woodpigeons and Carrion  Crows were moving about the site and a pair of Collared Doves rested in a bare tree to my front right. Both Magpie and Woodpigeon took the opportunity to rest on the fence in front of the hide.

Resting Little Egrets Egretta garzetta

Moving on to the Knights Bank Hide I found many more Canada along with six Greylag Geese.  On the far bank of the water at least thirty resting Lapwing which then took to the air as a passing Red Kite was mobbed by a couple of Carrion Crows.  Even better, a female Sparrowhawk quietly gliding below the front of the hide as it was "chased" by a Magpie.

Lapwings Vanellus vanellus take to the air

Time to return to the road and move on to the western side of the reserve.  However, with work taking place at the back of the South Scrape where it joins the Northern Scrape, at first not a bird in sight.  But then I located a trio of Oystercatchers followed by a pair of Common Sandpipers on the far island to my right.  Informed that a couple of Cattle Egrets were to be found with the handful of cattle not fifty metres away, off I went in search of the beasts.  However, by this time the animals had retreated to the shade and long grass but patience paid off as I caught sight of two adults and a juvenile Cattle Egret in the long grass between the animals.  Time to call it a day and as I departed a small flock of Linnets were moving around the small trees and bushes outside the Meon Shore Hide.

Now where's the Red Kite?

Birds seen:

Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Mute Swan, Gadwall, Mallard, Cormorant, Glossy Ibis, Cattle Egret, Little Egret, Heron, Red Kite, Sparrowhawk, Moorhen, Coot, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Redshank, Common Sandpiper, Turnstone, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Robin, Cetti's Warbler, Blue Tit, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Starling, Linnet.

 For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment