Tuesday 16 March 2021

Rio Algarrobo

 Tuesday 16 March

Approaching the open trees area

Lovely, calm and sunny start to the day so no jumper, just my sleeveless to hold notebook, mobile, etc.  Very bust at the start of the walk as about forty playing petanque in the activity area but, nevertheless, a Black Redstart in the nearby trees.  Once into the open tree area an immediate Serin followed by a few more with a dozen Spotless Starlings on the wires to my left and Collared Doves to the right.  A pair of Blackbirds and even more as I approached the barbecue area whilst the old, bare tree on the opposite side of the river held a pair of Wood Pigeon.

The old bare tree which usually has something on offer

Continuing on up the main track a few Goldfinch and more Serins and Blackbirds plus a continuous supply of Collared Doves.  The first House Sparrows appeared as I approached the concrete weir and a single Barn Swallow crossed the river in front of me.  Towards the sports hall I started to notice the Greenfinches and and once on the final stretch before the motorway underpass a White Wagtail working the river's edge.

The lower weir

I had already seen a female Blackcap and now I had a pair of Blackcap in the bushes close to the river as I approached the motorway underpass and was to see another female further on.

Male Blackcap Sylvia atricapilla

Generally very quiet on the other side of the motorway but I did add a second White Wagtail and many more Serin and Blackbirds.  Returning towards the motorway underpass a Stonechat flew up onto the wires to my left and a Kestrel was disturbed and took flight from a large tree immediately in front of me.  Time to cross the road ford where I noticed one of the local Cattle Egrets had come down to the the river to forage and then two more at the sewage works.

The road ford leading to the sewage works behind the trees at the top left

Finally, as I passed the barbecue are and approached the open trees a Hoopoe suddenly took of from the ground to my left and came to rest in a relatively close, open tree.  Just when it was about to become conspicuous by its absence, a pair of Monk Parakeet put in an appearance at the very end of the walk.

Birds seen:

Cattle Egret, Kestrel, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Monk Parakeet, Hoopoe, Barn Swallow, White Wagtail, Black Redstart, Stonechat, Blackbird, Blackcap. Spotless Starling, House Sparrow, Serin, Greenfinch, Goldfinch.


Check out the accompanying website at http://www.birdingaxarquia.weebly.com for the latest sightings, photographs and additional information

No comments:

Post a Comment