Saturday 17 April 2021

Rio Algarrobo

 Saturday 17 April

Sunshine, clear skies, no wind and warm weather following our three days of rain.  What better reason to take a walk up the local Rio Algarrobo where the dry riverbed has once more been turned into a rapid, flowing river.  Indeed, too much over the ford to all ow me to cross and even deeper up beyond the motorway!

Cars only across the ford!

No sooner into the activity area than a number of Collared Doves plus a pair of Bonelli's Warblers.  The first Blackbird of the morning dashed through the trees and once out into the ore open woodland a few Greenfinches as I watched a handful of Spotless Starlings flying upstream.  Three horses were tethered on the green, river bank and to keep them company a single Cattle Egret hoping for a tasty snack to be uncovered.  A Serin flew into the nearby tree and I continued onwards and upwards.

Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis befriending a local pony in the hope for a tit-bit.

More Greenfinches and House Sparrows as I approached the weir and it was obvious that two days rain higher up the valley had made a significant impact on the previously completely dry river.

No shortage of water over the weir

Before long I was seeing more House Sparrows and Greenfinches which, in turn , were joined by the first of many Goldfinch.  A second Cattle Egret was found resting on top of an electricity pylon and, having noted how deep the water flowing over the ford had become, I made my way up to the motorway underpass.

Resting Crag Martin Ptyonoprogne rupestris under the motorway

Passing under I noted the solitary resting Crag Martin before continuing on alongside the fast-flowing river.  A movement ear the water's edge drew my attention and I was rewarded with the sight of a Green Sandpiper.

Green Sandpiper Tringa ochropus

Time for a quick look upstream from the ford across the track but now not even a chance of jumping from stone to stone to across the stream so started on my return journey.  Over the hidden reserve I had note Barn Swallows on the outward journey and ow I had a regular aerial display from the feeding Common Swifts.  Making my way back to the starting point I noted a  Wood Pigeon and then a handful of Monk Parakeets gathering yet more nesting material in the activity area before a Rock Dove was also recorded.

Cross the river if you dare - in trainers

Birds seen:

Cattle Egret, Green Sandpiper, Rock Dove, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Monk Parakeet, Common Swift, Crag Martin, Barn Swallow, Blackbird, Bonelli's Warbler, Spotless Starling, House Sparrow, Serin, Greenfinch, Goldfinch.

Check out the accompanying website at http://www.birdingaxarquia.weebly.com for the latest sightings, photographs and additional information

No comments:

Post a Comment