Sunday 3 May 2020

Inland Algarrobo Costa

Sunday 3 May

Making the most of the new freedom and gorgeous weather, rather than walk the beach promenade I took myself inland and followed the Rio Algarrobo upstream until I reached the motorway.  Virtually nobody about as the occasional dog-walk disappeared so able to enjoy the all the greenery and a welcome chance for the sight of some different birds that I have experience over the past seven weeks.

A few of the feeding Pallid Swifts Vencejo Palido Apus pallidus

I had hardly left the urbanisation and crossed the main road when I had my first Collared Dove and they seemed to be everywhere, counting at least 18 individuals.  As soon as I was among the trees above the bank of the river I was pleasantly surprised to see a Spotted Flycatcher before I had gone fifty metres.  On the concrete wall to my left a pair of Greenfinches and, of course, a continuous supply of House Sparrows.  With a gap in the trees to my left I stopped to admire the feeding Pallid Swifts on the far side of the river above the apartment blocks and slightly further upstream a good number of House Martins feeding over the arable fields.

Serin Verdecillo Serinua serinus

Continuing along the track it was not long before I came across my first of a few Serins and then a small charm of Goldfinches.  In addition I was also seeing a regular supply of Blackbirds, both foraging on the ground and moving freely about the trees and river bed.  On the wires a couple of Spotless Starlings.

Blackbird Mirlo Comun Turdus merula 

By now the local Barn Swallows had arrived along with the occasional House Martin and a look over the bank to the small stream that was left after the river had almost drained itself I was in time to see the rapidly departing Green Sandpiper.  But the bird was seen again on my return journey and I managed to follow its flight and get a very distant shot.

Distant Green Sandpiper Andarrios Grande Tringa ochropus

As I walked back I was surprised to see a lone Monk Parakeet fly away from me and then, in the river below, a trio of White Wagtails flew away.  All very rewarding and an ideal site to revisit in the coming days and weeks whilst I am restricted to birding within a kilometre of the house.

Birds seen:
Green sandpiper, Collared Dove, Monk Parakeet, Pallid Swift, Barn Swallow, House Martin, White Wagtail, Blackbird, Spotted Flycatcher, Spotless Starling, House Sparrow, Serin, Green finch, Goldfinch.

Check out the accompanying website at http://www.birdingaxarquia.weebly.com for the latest sightings, photographs and additional information

No comments:

Post a Comment