Monday 8 April 2019

Rio Velez, Torre del Mar

Monday 8 April

An hour to go before my doctor's appointment so I left early and drove down to nearby Torre del Mar, parked under the N340 road bridge at the start of the track to the beach and used up forty minutes with a short walk to the hide and back alongside the Rio Velez.  The recent rains have certainly left a very verdant scene and a good flow of water so, naturally, both Mallard and Moorhen seen as soon as I arrived.

At first all seemed very quiet but ere long I had seen numerous Blackirds - all males.  A couple of Goldfinches on the fence and then the first Blue-headed Yellow wagtail and I was to see a further four or five as i continued on my way.  Resting in a tall tree on the far side of the river a quartet of Cormorant and then a similar number of Spotless Starlings moving about.  A movement in the nearby tree caught my attention and interesting to see that there were still a few Chiffchaffs to be seen - perhaps awaiting the outcome of the Brexit fiasco before deciding whether or not to venture north to summer climes!

(Blue-headed) Yellow Wagtail Lavandera Boyera Motacilla flava iberiae
Half-way down to the hide and a Hoopoe flew across the track in front of me and once at the hide another pair followed by two more on the return journey.  Either the area has gone "Hoopoe mad" or a lot of movement going on but certainly at least three individuals.  A pair of Serins watched me watching the Hoopoes and, arriving at the hide, I was aware of the dozen or so Barn Swallows feeding over and around the meadow.  Also in the meadow a number of feeding House Sparrows including a single, male Spanish Sparrow.

Hoopoe Abubilla Upupa epops
Making my way back to the car normal service was resumed with a flypast of a quintet of squawking Monk Parakeets and then more Blue-headed Wagtails.  Just a little difference as the small, brown bird popped up and rested on the bottom of a gate and revealed itself as my first Whitethroat of the year.  Very lovely and followed up with a Woodchat Shrike before setting off for my appointment.

Bird seen:
Mallard, Cormorant, Moorhen, Collared Dove, Monk Parakeet, Hoopoe, Barn Swallow, Blue-headed Wagtail, Blackbird, Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, Woodchat Shrike, Spotless Starling, House Sparrow, Spanish Sparrow, Serin, Goldfinch.


Check out the accompanying website at http://www.birdingaxarquia.weebly.com for the latest sightings, photographs and additional information

1 comment:

  1. We need to meet you.and see some birds! Tricia and Tony. Torre del mar

    ReplyDelete