Thursday, 1 October 2026

Normandy and Pennington Marshes

Semipalmated Sandpiper Calidris pusilla

Wednesday 30 September

A light overnight rain but lovely and sunny for my morning visit to Normandy Lagoon and Pennington marsh, albeit a little on the breezy side.  Arriving at Normandy Lagoon just after 10am I was greeted by both Robin and Chiffchaff and then the walk down to the sea wall.  Amazed to find, at first sight, that the whole area seemed devoid of bird life so a question of using the scope to check the back of the water.  A lone Cormorant and a couple of Oystercatchers then a single Redshank on the near shore off to my right.  A Woodpigeon flew over as I made my way to the outer wall to have the strong, bright sun behind me.

As a Curlew departed overhead and I had chance to check the larger islands where I did find many resting Ringed Plovers with a number of Dunlin.  The more I scoped, the more I found so quite so a large mixed flock.  Just a couple of Black-headed Gulls about but moving further along more resting, and well concealed, birds were found. A distant Greenshank, more Redshanks and then the first of five Little Egrets.

Knot Calidris canutus

As I walked to the far end a couple of Grey Herons flew in and a large flock of Starlings and more Oystercatchers were noted on the dry land.  At the far end of the lagoon before starting my return walk I came across a resting flock of 140 Teal along, twelve Knot, a Little Egret and a few more Redshanks.  Across the open water towards the Lymington river a score of Grey Plovers resting on the island shore.  In the distant field in front of the trees a couple of Carrion Crows and a single Magpie.  Even a distant Herring Gull on the back water.

Ringed Plovers Charadrius hiaticula with a few Dunlin Calidris alpina

Taking the lower path I was able to get a closer look at the Ringed Plovers and Dunlin which had now been joined by a Greenshank.  A birder in front of me pointed out the resting Ruff on island "B" and I also noted the wandering Pied Wagtail whilst immediately in front of me a single Meadow Pipit was disturbed by a landing Black-headed Gull.  Also present was a single Turnstone.

Ruff  Philomachus pugnax

Walking back alongside the western end of the lagoon a couple of Stonechats on the fence and a dozen Canada Geese had arrived at the back of the water. A lone Mallard was on Acre Pond along with five Little Egrets and as I wake back along the road to the car I encountered both Blackbird and Dunnock followed by a lone Chaffinch.

Ringed Plovers Charadrius hiaticula

Moving on to nearby Pennington Marshes I recorded both Robin and Woodpigeon as I approached the large meadow followed by a score or more Carrion Crows and a flock of Starlings.  At the car park a couple of Goldfinches and half-dozen House Sparrows were bathing and drinking for a large puddle at the side of the road. Just as well a trio of Stonechats were on the bushes at the start of the walk as not another bird was seen until I reached the path alongside the stream between Butts and Fishtail lagoons.  here I was delighted to see a Bearded Tit flit across the top of the reeds at the edge of Butts Lagoon.

Semipalmated Sandpiper Calidris pusilla

Having ben told where the visiting scarcity had just been seen, I made my way to the far, western end of Fishtail Lagoon where I found a few Ringed Plovers and amongst the twenty Dunlin the long-staying Semipalmated Sandpiper, now present for almost a week.  Much time spent trying to find the Semipalmated Sandpiper and even more difficult trying to see the bird against the muddy backdrop when trying to photograph the bird from the the sea wall.  As a bonus a flock of thirty Golden Plover appeared overhead and even landed for a very short time on the drier land behind the Dunlin.

Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria

When I finally departed to walk back to Butts lagoon a couple of Black-headed Gulls had arrived on what what little water there was along with a air of mallards.  Just the one Redshank on Butts lagoon but as I approached the "pier" to turn inland and back towards the car about twenty Turnstones foraging on the small area of exposed beach.  Making my ay inland I was able to record Cetti's Warbler and Wren and looking westwards noted the large flocks of Canada Geese heading inland whilst a flock of about fifty Herring Gulls made their way overhead in the opposite direction.  Three Magpies were in the field to my right with the cattle and the final bird of the morning was the single Coot I could make out on the distant fresh water lake.

Black-headed Gull Larus ridibundus

All in all, despite the lack of birds, a most enjoyable and rewarding visit.

Resting Teal Anas crecca

Birds seen:

Canada Goose, Mallard, Teal, Cormorant, Little Egret, Heron, Coot, Oystercatcher, Ringed Plover, Golden Plover, Grey Plover, Knot, Semipalmated Plover, Dunlin, Curlew, Ruff, Redshank, Greenshank, Turnstone, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Woodpigeon, Meadow Pipit, Pied Wagtail, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Stonechat, Blackbird, Cetti's Warbler, Chiffchaff, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch.

Dunlin Calidris alpina

Little Egret Egretta garzetta with Ruff  Philomachus pugnax (centre right)

Semipalmated Sandpiper Calidris pusilla

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment