![]() |
| Grey Heron Ardea cinerea |
Saturday 10 October
Saturday 10 October when members of eBird set out to see who can record the highest number of species in one day, either individually or as a member of a team. Having lived in Spain for 20 years until recently, I had the pleasure and privilege of being invited to join my birding friends from Andalusia. This meant that the provinces of Malaga, Cadiz and Granada were covered along with my contribution from the south of England. Meanwhile, we were also joined by two friends from Sweden and Scotland respectively. At the end of the day it looks like we managed a final total of 188.
My contribution included visiting sites east and west of Warsash. Starting at Titchfield shore at the mouth of the river Meon, arriving at 7.50 I then moved on to Farlington Marshes. Once completed, it was the westward journey to Fishlake Meadows in Romsey followed by Eyeworth Pond in Fritham. My final destination was Blashford Lakes, a little north of Ringwood in the New Forest.
![]() |
| 13 resting Little Egrets Egretta garzetta and a lone Grey Heron Ardea cinerea at Farlington Marshes |
As soon as at Titchfield, having passed a couple of Blackbirds as I rounded the last corner, Turnstones on the shore with Ringed Plovers and a flock of eighteen newly-arrived Brent Geese. Also present Black-headed and Herring Gulls before moving on to the observation area overlooking the Meon. Lots of Lapwing on the island plus a Great Black-backed Gull with nearby Mallard and Shoveler and at least five Little Egrets. A couple of Glossy Ibis in the water next to the island and Black-tailed Godwits and Redshanks on the far bank. Apart from the scores of Coot, the most populous duck was the Gadwall. Moving on to the bridge I noted the single Little Grebe and then past the harbour with its Mallards and Mute Swan family to check the main shore where I found Oystercatchers. Both Woodpigeon and a Rock Dove at the side of the road and Carrion Crows and Magpie overflying. In front of me both Robin and Cetti's Warbler recorded.
I was at Farlington Marsh by 8.50 and straight to the old barn to check the reed bed for Bearded Tits, but not before a quick look over the hedge to check the top of the empty harbour. On the walk down the track both Stonechat and Blackcap seen. Canada Geese, Herring and Black-headed Gulls, Mallard and Little Egret noted before seeing the flock of feeding Brents Geese. Once at the reed bed the sight of a flock of eleven Bearded Tits on the road side of the track and constantly on the move with fifteen being the highest in flight count. In the field next to the reedbed at least two Cattle Egrets in with the beasts.
![]() |
| Grey Heron Ardea cinerea |
Back to the small lagoon where I found Shoveler, Coot and Redshank. Cetti's Warblers constantly calling and a Little Grebe at the back of the water as a number of Carrion Crows flew across the area. next the walk alongside the river and back to the sea wall. Stopping at the bench I noted the scores, probably hundreds, of resting teal along with scores of Canada Geese and well over 100 Redshank and a Greenshank. A Heron was resting in the reeds opposite and around me at least a dozen wandering Moorhens. A large flock of Starlings flew over and Robins appeared in the nearby trees. A little further on I found a dozen Shelduck and the early Wigeons plus another Heron. In amongst the Teal and Wigeon I was also able to identify a number of Pintail.
![]() |
| Resting mixed flock of Black-tailed Godwits Limosa limosa (mainly) and Redshanks Tringa totanus |
Once up on the sea wall and at the the observation area I could see more teal on the lake along with a very large mixed flock of Black-tailed Godwits and Redshanks. Even another Greenshank and a couple of Curlew Sandpipers. Eighteen Shelduck out on the water and off to the far left, sheltering below the bushy bank, thirteen Little Egrets and a solitary Heron. At the back of the water a couple of Oystercatchers and then the arrival of six Meadow Pipits to the path behind me. However, my attention was drawn to the single Barnacle Goose swimming towards a half-dozen Canada Geese. The first, and only, Cormorant of the day so far flew across the water. below me a number of resting Teal and nearby a few more Pintail. Way out in the harbour with high tide approaching a pair of Mute Swans. Before heading back to the car I checked the grassy are between the trees next to the trees just inside the gate and pleased to see the wanted Green Woodpecker.
![]() |
| Mainly Black-tailed Godwits Limosa limosa |
Now came the longer drive westwards to the New Forest with a first stop at Fishlake Meadows in Romsey, passing a field of Rooks near North Baddesley, but still on site by 11.30. A walk down the canal path produced Chaffinch, Wren, many Cetti's Warblers, Robin, and Great and Long-tailed Tits. Looking across to the water I could see both Mute Swans and a Little Egret plus unidentified ducks. The return walk and onwards to the road to visit the observation area overlooking the main water also produced Blue Tit, Chiffchaff, Blackbird and more Long-tailed Tits. Once at the roadside viewpoint lots of Mute Swans plus Great crested Grebe, Mallard, Gadwall and Herring, Black-headed and a single Lesser Black-backed Gull.
Takin the cross country route to Fritham I saw a Jay fly up into a nearby tree as I passed through Bramshaw and was soon at Eyeworth Pond. All looked very quiet with just a few Mallard and a trio of Moorhen on the water but as the cars departed the Blue Tits, Dunnock and Chaffinches began to appear on the track near the gate in search of food and were soon joined by a Nuthatch. As I left the pond and took the narrow lane up to the main road I cam across a resting Buzzard atop a pylon followed by Magpie and then a half-dozen Linnets and a Pied Wagtail.
The final site of the day was Blashford Lakes and I took the scenic drive through the forest via Ibsley passing a flock of Starlings and a few Carrion Crow as I approached the car park outside the Tern Hide. A very busy Ibsley Water confronted me; full of Coot and Tufted Duck along with many Great Crested Grebes. Near the edges a few Mallard with many Mute Swans at the back with one island holding over sixty resting Cormorant and another with over forty Egyptian Geese. Lots of gulls present; mainly Herring but also Lesser Black-backed and Black-headed Gulls. Off to the distant right and a Great White Egret at the water's edge. A couple of Woodpigeon on the bank and then I was off to the main reserve.
![]() |
| Treecreeper Certhia familiaris |
First to the Ivy North Hide where I found mainly Gadwall and Teal with a few Wigeon. Nothing at the Woodside Hide but the nearby tree held a foraging Tree-creeper. walking on down to the Ivy South Hide a Jay in the bushes to my left and then both Blue Tit and Goldcrest. Once arrived more Gadwall, Coot and a Moorhen on the water and resting Cormorants atop the nearby trees. No Firecrests as I checked the trees near the car park but a second Green Woodpecker for the day put in an appearance. Them, as I set out for home, a small flock of Rooks near their traditional rookery in the adjacent trees.
![]() |
| Cormorants Phalacrocorax carbo |
Birds seen:
Greylag Goose, Brent Goose, Canada Goose, Barnacle Goose, Mute Swan, Egyptian Goose, Shelduck, Gadwall, Wigeon, Mallard, Shoveler, Teal, Pintail, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Glossy Ibis, Cattle Egret, Little Egret, Heron, Great White Egret, Buzzard, Moorhen, Coot, Oystercatcher, Ringed Plover, Lapwing, Curlew Sandpiper, Dunlin, Black-tailed Godwit, Curlew, Redshank, Greenshank, Turnstone, Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull, Rock Dove, Woodpigeon, Green Woodpecker, Meadow Pipit, Pied Wagtail, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Stonechat, Blackbird, Cetti's Warbler, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Bearded Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Nuthatch, Tree-creeper, Jay, Magpie, Jackdaw, Rook, Carrion Crow, Starling, Chaffinch, Linnet.
![]() |
| Teal Anas crecca (in water) with resting Black-tailed Godwits |
For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.








No comments:
Post a Comment