Sunday 4 February 2024

Meon Shore, Titchfield haven and the lower Hamble River

 Sunday 4 February

At the Meon shore, Titchfield Haven by 9 o'clock but a very windy morning with heavy cloud and a dampness, almost light drizzle, in the air.  The ide well on its way out so having noted the very large number of Brent Geese at the water's edge accompanied by many Black-headed Gulls and a few Oystercatchers I made my way to the public viewing point overlooking the lagoon.  A good number of lapwing on the island but on the other side of the fence these birds could be counted in hundreds as hey rest and flew around.  Also present on the first water a few Gadwall and Coot.

Continuing on round to the harbour wall and walk in front of the sailing club I had a better view of the many Brent Geese and noted more Oystercatchers along with many Redshank.  In addition to the Black-headed there were also a number of Herring and four Great Black-backed Gulls. Passing the feeders at the Visitors Centre on the way back to the viewing point I noted the male Greenfinch, Blackbird and a trio of House Sparrows.  Upon retrieving my scope from the car I was able to take a closer look at the water within the reserve and recorded the trio of Spoonbill along with many Shelduck, Shoveler and a few Teal.  The majority of the Mallards were in the harbour along with a pair of Mute Swans and returning to the car I also found the "missing" Turnstones on the beach.

A drive up to the cliff top to checkout the Solent simply proved how rough the sea was so no sign of ant Eiders or other sea duck.. Making my way back to prepare for the journey back to Warsash (where I saw the large Rook flock feeding in a field on my right), I noted that a Cormorant had arrived on the little island on the nearby lagoon. And on the far side a pair of Magpies were resting on  dead tree.

The Hamble River was very quiet with the tide almost fully out and very little bird life about compared to that I usually found on this site.  A Woodpigeon at the start of my return walk to the conservation area and beyond the ferry pier my first Herring Gull and a few Shelduck on the water.  A few Black-headed Gulls before coming across a score of feeding Dunlin and the first of four Curlew to be seen.  Half of the forty Wigeon recorded were also present along with the first Oystercatcher.

Curlew Numenius arquata

On the other side of the path almost a score of feeding Redshank of the muddy meadow and then a quartet of Carrion Crows.  More Redshanks and Curlews as I made my way up to the conservation area where I found the remainder of the Wigeon and up to a dozen Teal.  Right at the back a single Heron.  Finally, almost back to the start of the path and I came across the only Little Egret.

Birds seen:

Brent Goose, Mute Swan, Shelduck, Gadwall, Wigeon, Mallard, Shoveler, Teal, Little Grebe, Cormorant, Little Egret, Heron, Spoonbill, Coot, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Dunlin, Curlew, Redshank, Turnstone, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Woodpigeon, Blackbird, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, House Sparrow, Greenfinch.

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment