Thursday 29 February 2024

Cabo de Gata & Rambla Morales

Thursday 29 February

Lovely day for the Arboleas Birding Group at my favourite Almeria site, Cabo de Gata. Good to read that the Reed Warblers are back and still Curlews to be found.  At lest you gad the sun as, once more, the rain has returned to southern Britain so now shore walking along the Solent for me today!

Cabo de Gata & Rambla Morales: Wednesday 28th February

Another windy day, but it was sunny. I drove Richard in his car in a southerly direction towards Cabo de Gata.  As soon as we exited the motorway towards Retamar Sur I spotted a Marsh Harrier flying low over the scrubland. Richard saw a flock of Chaffinch before we saw a pair of Jackdaw.  In the town we added Collared Dove and House Sparrow  En route to Pujaire we added Spotless Starling and Thekla Lark. 

Eurasian Curlew (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

We arrived at the first hide.  Apart from the hundreds of Greater Flamingos we found Black-tailed Godwits, Avocets, and Black Winged Stilts feeding in the shallow water.  A Sardinian Warbler flew by. There were Black-headed Gulls and Avocets on the rocky causeway together with a Kentish Plover. Richard added a Yellow-legged Gull and some Mallard.  We were joined by Kevin who added White Wagtail seen near the Guardia Civil tower.  He soon found a Redshank.  Richard spotted an Eurasian Curlew flying to our right over the savannah.  We were joined by Trevor, Val and Phil.  Kevin found a group of Dunlin feeding in the bay to our right.  I then found a single Oystercatcher nearby.  There was a Stonechat on the fencing.  I found a Grey Plover on the rocky causeway.  As I was directing Kevin to its location, a Turnstone appeared.  A Grey Heron landed on the shrubby causeway.  Kevin found a Black Redstart.  We adjourned for coffee to the cafe in Cabo village.  We were glad it was open as it's the Dia de Andalucia bank holiday.

Oystercatcher (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

We drove to the beach opposite the second hide.  To my horror I realised I'd left my scope and tripod at the first hide some 35 minutes ago.  I raced back and thank the lord it was still there leaning against the fence.  PHEW!!

Greater Flamingos (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

I rejoined the group at the second hide.  I found some Shelduck to the left.  A pair of Reed Buntings were flitting about in the reeds in the gully.  As we walked back towards the beach a group of Greenfinch flew past.  Richard, who'd stayed in the car, had seen a diving Gannet.
At the public hide, Kevin found some Cormorants on the causeway.  I located some Lesser Black-backed Gulls.

Lesser Black-backed Gulls (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

We convoyed to the Rambla Morales.  The only bird we saw en route along the beachside track was a Cormorant landing on the sea.  Due to Richard's lack of mobility, I drove him to the hump as the others walked there.  Kevin had seen a Shoveler.  There was a large raft of White-headed Ducks and Common Pochard in front of us. Phil found a Little Grebe.  A Black-necked Grebe with bright red eyes was seen. I found a Bar-tailed Godwit along the opposite reed line.  Also seen were Coot and Moorhen.  The reeds nearer to us we heard Cetti's Warblers.  We saw Reed Warbler and Chiffchaff.

We said our goodbyes and headed home.  Richard and I added Northern Starling and Iberian Grey Shrike en route back to the motorway.

Snow on the eastern slopes of the Sierra Nevadas (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

We ended up with 45 species for the day.  Great birding and company. 
I'm very sad to report that Kath, Paul's wife, passed away last Sunday.  I'm sure you'll join me in sending  sincere condolences to Paul, Emma and Sarah.
Regards
Dave

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment