Thursday 23 March 2023

Workmans Lane, Warsash

Thursday 23 March

Yesterday's blog completed and published and all looking fine outside so decided I would take advantage of the present situation and drive up to the top of Workmans Lane on the outskirts of the village.  However, getting out of the car to change my footwear I discovered the opposite sign of the coin; it may have been bright and even some sunshine but it was blowing a proverbial gale.  Still, once changed I set off hoping to find a little shelter from the trees as I started down the lane.  Immediately in front of me over a hundred Starling in the trees and on the wires.  A single Black-headed Gull crossed the road and in the field to my right I found the first of the seven Magpies I was to see during the next ninety minutes.

A few of the Starlings Sturnus vulgaris on the wires

Moving on down the lane I saw a number of Carrion Crows and Woodpigeons then stopped to observe the fifty Brent Geese resting near the water-filled dip in the large field to my right.  Also present a couple of Herring Gulls and as I lifted my camera for a distant record shot the birds decided they'd be better off elsewhere.  However, having continued on down to the shore and back the flock had returned and resumed their resting.

The Brent Geese Branta bernicla flock

A couple of Blackbirds in the hedgerow along with a Robin as I took the narrower track down to the shore and a single Great Tit in the garden to my left. A pair of Mallards were resting o the pond at the bottom of the lane but nothing to be seen on the very choppy waters of the Solent.

Returning up the lane at the entrance to the horse fields the above Starlings seemed to have decided they like my presence and there they were right in front of me as I passed through the gate. A Chiffchaff flittered out of the grass and onto the lowest wire of the fence before disappearing and I sent of to walk the perimeter.  Almost at the turning point by the three-sided stable and a trio of Rooks crossed the track I front of me followed by another pair.  Checking the fields to my right I found a trio of Canada Geese and another large flock of Starlings were feeding on the ground next to the horses.

Starlings Sturnus vulgaris

Between the stable and the first style to take the path leading to Hook Lane I had a Sky Lark ascend to my right and then just in time to catch sight of the Egyptian Goose away to my right below the fence.  I took a chance and seem to have just managed to capture the goose before it disappeared from sight.

Can you spot the Egyptian Goose Alopochen aegyptiaca?

Away to my left a Green Woodpecker was very loudly "yaffling" away in the trees and then, immediately overhead a visiting Buzzard. Once back on Hook Lane to walk back to the car I came across a few Chaffinch and then a Great Spotted Woodpecker alighted on a rather small tree immediately in front.  With camera ready the bird moved on a little and then back across the lane to a larger tree.  Picked up again behind a few branches, I thought I had captured the bird with my camera but, no, yet another Starling!  So ended a pleasant walk and I'm sure the exercise did me good and still no sign of the promised rain.

Buzzard Buteo buteo

Birds seen:

Brent Goose, Canada Goose, Egyptian Goose, Mallard, Buzzard, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Woodpigeon, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Skylark, Robin, Blackbird, Chiffchaff, Great Tit, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Starling, Chaffinch.

Not the Great Spotted Woodpecker but another Starling!

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment