Tuesday 21 March 2023

El Fondo with Dave Eliott-Binns

 Tuesday 21 March

That's the ne thing about Alicante Airport.  No matter whether you approach from north or south it's always a good excuse to pop into the El Fondo reserve at relatively nearby Elche to check out the bird life.  I seemed to be doing it on an almost weekly basis last October when moving bits and pieces from Malaga to son in Valencia.  You can always guarantee Red-knobbed Coot and Purple (Western) Swamphens along with, usually, Glossy Ibis.  Shame, however, to miss out on the resident Marbled Ducks.

El Fondo: Monday 20th March

I had to pick up Gilly from Alicante and I thought it would be extremely rude not to pop into the El Fondo bird reserve on the way!  I left home and headed north on the A7/E15.  I came off at junction 526, the turning for Crevillent Estacion.  En route to the reserve's Information Centre I saw Collared Dove, House Sparrow and Hoopoe.

Red-knobbed Coot (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

As it had been a two hour drive, I parked up in the car park facing the large shallow pool to have a coffee and sandwich. Through the gap in the palm trees I could see a pair of Glossy Ibis and a number of Greater Flamingos further away.  Suitably refreshed I walked the 10 or so metres to the side of this pool.  Due to a strained neck and lower back pain I only took my binoculars and the small camera.  On the water feeding amongst the shrubs I observed an Avocet, Black-winged Stilts, Coots and Moorhens.  I spotted the first of a number of Western Swamphens.  I also saw Cetti's and Sardinian Warblers.
I moved round to the Information Centre where they have an observation point from the covered picnic area.  I added Red-knobbed Coot and Mallard, but there were no Marbled Teal.  I checked out the original pool from this different angle.  There were at least 5 Western Swamphens on show.  A male Blackcap was flitting amongst the shrubs.

Western Swamphen (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

When I arrived  there were two coaches in the car park.  There were about four groups of students being shown around, some even had binoculars!  I overtook the first group on the walkway, but managed to get views of Blac-necked Grebe and Little Egret.  Nearing the end of the walkway I observed a Red-knobbed Coot not 3 metres away from me.  It was not fazed at all and passed under the walkway.
Overtaking the next group, I got to the first hide.  Here I added Red-crested and Common Pochard. Moving to the final hide, I was on my own so spent some time there.  I saw Shelduck and Little Grebe. A first spring Yellow Wagtail walked along the small mud beach below me.  In the distance I saw a Marsh Harrier.  Hearing approaching voices I made my exit.  On the way back by the same route I saw more of the same plus Black-headed Gull and Crested Lark.  In my absence a large flock of Glossy Ibis had landed on the first shallow pool.

Glossy Ibis (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

Over the two hours I was there I logged 26 species.  Amazingly there were no Swallows, Martins or Swifts.  The only migrant was the Yellow Wagtail.

Newly-arrived (Iberian) Yellow Wagtail (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

Regards
Dave
Black-winged Stilt (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

Glossy Ibis flock (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)


For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment