Friday 14 May 2021

Alcaucin and El Robledal

 Friday 14 May

A morning in the woods.  Leaving home just before ten I immediately passed a White Wagtail foraging near the bins and then on up to Acaucin to take the mountain track up to the picnic site.  Barn Swallow, House Martin, Spotless Starling and House Sparrow as I started my ascent and the first Blackbird as I approached the picnic entrance.  Having said that, all very quiet and with the trees now if full leaf little to be seen so a case of chasing the bird calls.

Serin and Chaffinches, the latter in good numbers, before I enjoyed a departing Mistle Thrush.  Even luckier, I just happened to look up from checking the tree tops to identify the passing raptor and delighted to identify one of the local Goshawks.  Then, following the short walk up the smaller track to where the tit nest boxes have been recently deployed I returned to take a rest at the picnic tables and concentrate n finding an elusive Nuthatch.  But it was no to be despite my attention being grabbed by a Great Spotted Woodpecker which arrived to start hammering away in the next tree.

Can you find the Great Spotted Woodpecker Pico Picapinos Dendrocopos major

Down the steps to walk through the lower levels where fist a Serin and then the sighting of a Firecrest above me.  A little further on I saw (could it be another Serin?) cross in front of me and perch at the end of a branch long enough to find with the bins and conform as a lovely male Linnet.  Finally back to the car keeping my eye on the lone Crossbill that was perched in the large Eucalyptus tree opposite the car park.

Crossbill Piquituerto Comun Loxia curvirostra

Whilst amongst the trees lovely to watch the local Red Squirrel - which look almost black out here - as it walked down the trunk then paused to take stock of the surroundings.  The third photograph certainly gives an impression of how imporatant the tail is to the animals balance.

Red Squirrel La ardilla roja Sciurus vulgaris

Continuing on up the track and past the top, empty picnic area I eventually disturbed a pair of Rock Buntings feeding on the track in front of me and near the end of the wooded section a Jay slipped quietly over the track immediately in front of me.  Finally, near the industrial area, a single Collared Dove on the wires.

next it was the relatively short drive eastwards to the woods of El Robledal which were even quieter.  A Wood Pigeon as I made my way along the entrance track and then a couple of Blackbirds.  Once in the parking area a Golden Oriole was calling nearby and, again, lots of Chaffinches.  All done and decided I would e better off back at home so making my way back I observed both Thekla Lark and Spotless Starling and was finally welcomed back to Algarrobo Costa by the resident Monk Parakeets with a good screech or two.

Birds seen:

Goshawk, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Monk Parakeet, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Thekla Lark, Barn Swallow, House Martin, White Wagtail, Blackbird, Mistle Thrush, Firecrest, Golden Oriole, Jay, Spotless Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Serin, Linnet, Crossbill, Rock Bunting.

Check out the accompanying website at http://www.birdingaxarquia.weebly.com for the latest sightings, photographs and additional information

No comments:

Post a Comment