Friday 12 June 2020

Raptors Galore

Friday 12 June

Realising that I am yet to see a Nuthatch this year and, as far as I know, the mountain track up to the picnic area above Alcaucin is still closed to visitors which would almost certainly have produced a sight or two, I headed over to El Robledal passing a number of Collared Doves on the way.  No stopping at Ventas de Zafarraya so I was on site by 10.30 having driven slowly along the entrance track and recording Blackbirds, Serin and Chaffinch on the way plus a rather sedentary Corn Bunting.

A gentle breeze but generally very cloudy and the temperature had dropped to a mere 13C having left the coast almost ten degrees warmer.  Not a lot of bird song but I could hear he resident Chaffinches and  the first of the Wood Pigeons.  The to me great delight the unmistakable call of a Golden Oriole from exactly the same location as last week.  Could there be a breeding pair in the area?  Very little else to see until I looked up in time to see the soaring Booted Eagle; great sight.  A walk round the local paths produced nothing new so decided I might move back to Ventas de Zafarraya

Record shot of Booted Eagle Aguilla Calzada Hieraaetus pennatus
Driving back long the track I stopped to watch a Buzzard above me and no sooner had I moved on when a Goshawk cross high in front of me carrying food back to its nest in the nearby trees; looked like a small bird had lived its last day.

Arriving at Ventas de Zafarraya I had noted many House Martins and House Sparrows passing through the village then followed he old railway track all the way through to Periana.  Crag Martins near the tunnel followed by a couple of Black Wheatears and then a number of Stonechat and Linnets before encountering many families of Goldfinch.  A quick sight of a disappearing female Black Redstart to my left as I drove through the village to make my way home for lunch both Barn Swallow and Crested Larks noted.

Birds seen:
Booted Eagle, Buzzard, Goshawk, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Crested Lark, Crag Martin, Barn Swallow, House Martin, Black Redstart, Stonechat, Black Wheatear, Blackbird, Golden Oriole, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Serin, Goldfinch, Linnet, Corn Bunting.


Check out the accompanying website at http://www.birdingaxarquia.weebly.com for the latest sightings, photographs and additional information

No comments:

Post a Comment