Monday, 24 August 2026

Workmans Lane, Warsash

Sunday 23 August

Arriving back in Warsash just before noon following my visit to Blashford Lakes, I decided to make a slight detour and walk down Workmans Lane to check the horse fields for any Yellow Wagtails.  No sooner had I set off than I came across a Common Redstart quickly followed by a Chiffchaff.  A handful of Barn Swallows flew past overhead and on reaching the horse fields a quintet of Magpies in the nature reserve on the right.

Walking up the path at the bottom of the horse field I soon added Carrion Crow, Jackdaws and Rooks but no sign of either Yellow Wagtail or Whinchat on this occasion.  A pair of Linnets as I made my way back towards the road and off to my left a flock of at least 80 Starlings in the air. On the fence as  approached the gate a Whitethroat.

Whitethroat Sylvia communis

back at the gate I could see fifteen Barn Swallows resting on the wires above and a couple of Woodpigeons moving across the field.  Then, walking back up the road, a Robin resting on the wires above.

Barn Swallows Hirundo rustica

Bird seen:

Woodpigeon, Barn Swallow, Common Redstart, Robin, Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, Magpie, Jackdaw, Rook, Carrion Crow, Starling, Linnet.

Robin Erithacus rubecula

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment