Monday 7 October 2024

Back in Spain: Marjal dels Morros

Monday 7 October

First view of the Marjal dels Morros

Having spent the past two days in the house, mainly sleeping and trying to shake off a light cold, I was away at daybreak to visit the lovely bird reserve of Marjal dels Morros on the coast just north of Valencia.  Arriving at 8.45 with a hazy sun and lots of cloud, but no wind, so giving me, I hoped, a good number  of enjoyable birding hours.  But it was not to be!  By the time I reached the first viewing point with its high platform the midges were out in force.

Heron Ardea cinerea

From the platform and the high bank as I approached I noted a good number of Coot, along with Mallard and a quintet of Gadwall. On the far side of the water a lone Heron and immediately in front of me a foraging Purple Swamphen.  Behind me a pair of Gadwall moved round the bend to be replaced by a pair of female Shoveler and a single Little Grebe.  

Female Shoveler Anas clypeata

All around me calling Cetti's Warblers and overhead a flock of 300 House Martins preparing to move off. A distant Marsh Harrier moving over the reeds was a welcome sight and then a trio of Flamingos flew over the ater and further into the marsh.

Purple Swamphen Porphyrio porphyrio

Moving on, accompanied by hordes of midges feasting on all exposed parts of my body, a few Black-headed Gulls moving in off the sea.  Once at the next hide disappointed to see the low water level and just a handful of Mallards present. Over on a small, bare tree towards the shore a Kestrel was resting and looking quite forlorn.  Nearer to me a quartet of Common Waxbill were feeding on the low bushes.

Kestrel Falco tinnunculus

Rather than simply abandon a I made the decision to under the complete anti-clockwise circuit but given the amount of attack from the midges perhaps wished I had simple abandoned ship and gone back to the car!  The next water brought just a few Mallards and nothing else seen until time to turn for home at the three-quarter point of the circuit.  A Little Egret popped up out of the ditch in front of me and the exposed pool here held a number of Teal in addition to the Mallards and another Purple Swamphen.  A Heron flew over.

The second large pool holding the Teal Anas crecca

Making my way along the narrow track alongside the irrigation canal I came across a handful of Woodpigeon and yet a another distant Marsh Harrier.  Even a resting Kestrel to my right. So back at the car and a number of both Spotless Starlings and Collared Doves on the wires plus the expected Feral Pigeons (Rock Doves) and a few House Sparrows.  Just the 23 species for all the blood I shared but at least a couple of new sightings for the year and, at least, I was out and about again.

Disappearing distant Marsh Harrier Circus aeruginosus

Birds seen:

Gadwall, Mallard, Shoveler, Teal, Little Grebe, Little Egret, Heron, Flamingo, Marsh Harrier, Kestrel, Purple Swamphen, Coot, Black-headed Gull, Rock Dove, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Barn Swallow, House Martin, Cetti's Warbler, Magpie, Spotless Starling, House Sparrow, Waxbill.


For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment