Thursday 12 September 2024

Titchfield Meon Shore

Wryneck Jynx torquilla (PHOTO: Becky Hitchcock)

Thursday 12 September

Lovely sunny day  with clear skies but still a cold breeze blowing in as I set off to the Meon shore at Titchfield haven once more in search of the long-staying Wryneck, albeit only seen by a few. On site by 10.45 and a short stay with other birders failed to produce any results so continued on up to Cliff Road, park the car and walk back down checking the shore east of the harbour on the way. Below me many Oystercatchers on the mud and the shingle with the tide almost fully out along with a handful of Redshank and a couple of Turnstone.  Good numbers of gulls, mainly Herring but also a Lesser Black-backed a a dozen or so Black-headed Gulls.  Just the one Little Egret on show but the Mute Swan family was out on the water and this time seven cygnets noted with the two adults.  Away to the east a half-dozen Cormorants sunning themselves.

Reaching the Meon harbour a good number of Mallards and a score more Turnstone. Then to the observation area overlooking the lagoon to find seven basking Cormorant and a few Black-headed Gulls.  On the water  a good number of Coot along with a Moorhen,  pair of Shoveler and a single Gadwall.  Both Woodpigeon and Magpie flew over before my departure.

Resting Cormorants Phalacrocorax carbo

Making my way round to the western entrance to Titchfield Haven I walked as far as the first hide to see what was really on the water rather than the odd Avocet flying over. Over a score of Avocets present plus, probably, twice as many Black-tailed Godwits. On the nearest island a Lapwing and the grassy island to the left held a pair of Snipe with a third individual way over on the far left bank.  A handful of Moorhens were moving around and right at the back of the water a quartet of Canada Geese and a Heron.  Carefully checking the feeding Black-tailed Godwit I found the Curlew Sandpiper that had been previously seen nearer to the hide and next to it a Common Sandpiper. Further back in the next pool a resting Great Black-backed Gull and a pair of Tufted Duck. Also present a flock at least forty Starlings. Finally, as I left the hide to make my way back to the road and on to my parked car, a Cetti's Warbler was added to the morning's list.

Snipe Gallinago gallinago

However, reaching the road I decided to take once last walk along the parallel narrow path to the road to see if anyone had actually seen the visiting Wryneck this morning.  Three birders present and replied in the negative.  On mention the Curlew Sandpiper the couple departed to see if they could find the bird and I explained to the remaining birder where the Wryneck was more likely to be rather than in the long, grassy reeds.  Would you believe it, almost immediately I located the bird low down on the bare branches of a small tree just the other side of the stream.  Having quickly retrieved my camera for a record shot I then help my fellow birder, Becky Hitchcock, to find the bird, finally taking over her camera to try for her.  However, she almost immediately found where I was indicating and took back her long-range camera for a shot.  No time for me to have a second try as the bird departed westwards low over the reeds and out of sight.  Not until I reached home did I discover that I had been successful and Becky also kindly forwarded a copy of her shot.  What a way to end the morning and my first sighting of a Wryneck in the UK.

Wryneck Jynx torquilla

Needless to say  the resident Jackdaws were still to be seen atop the roofs as I got to the end of Posbrook Lane on my home; same as on the outward journey.

Gadwall Anas stepera with Moorhen Gallinula chloropus

Birds seen:

Canada Goose, Mute Swan, Gadwall, Mallard, Shoveler, Teal, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe, Cormorant, Little Egret, Heron, Moorhen, Coot, Oystercatcher, Avocet, Lapwing, Curlew Sandpiper, Snipe, Black-tailed Godwit, Redshank, Common Sandpiper, Turnstone, Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull, Woodpigeon, Wryneck, Cetti's Warbler, Magpie, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Starling.

Fox in, Avocets up!

Avocet Recurvirostra avosetta

Immature Herring Gull Larus marinus

Lapwing Vanellus vanellus

Moorhen Gallinula chloropus

Shoveler Anas clypeata

Snipe Gallinago gallinago

Wryneck Jynx torquilla uncropped, etc)

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment