Monday 8 April 2024

Fishlake Meadows, Romsey

 Monday 8 April

With Storm Katherine moving north along the western edge of the British Isles it promised to be relatively quiet tis morning but a good chance of rain and some wind later on.  With that in mind I set off early and arrived at Fishlake Meadows, Romsey by 8 o'clock in calm conditions, dry and even a little hazy sunshine. Not so much the odd Woodpigeon or two roosting in the trees above the car park to this fabulous little nature reserve but the fact that no sooner had I left the car and entered the reserve I managed to find my first Whitethroat of the year and the morning turned out to be a proper "warbler fest."

Fishlake Meadows from the road viewing point

Moving north along the canal path I soon encountered the first of very many Robins along with more Woodpigeon and a quartet of Magpies. All around me many calling Cetti's Warblers which were to be encountered from start to finish almost three hours later along with a number of both Great and Blue Tits.  Again, very many Chiffchaffs and then the first of the second new warbler for the day, a lovely Willow Warbler.  It was whilst observing both the nearby Blackbird and Carrion Crows that looking beyond them to the distant water I noted both Canada Goose and Mute Swan along with a resting Heron.  Meanwhile, a Pheasant announced its presence.

Robin Erithacus rubecula

Beyond the house on the other side of the canal I reached the open fields and noted a pair of Greylag Geese and more feeding Woodpigeon then, almost immediately, my first Dunnock and Wren of the morning.  It was at the corner where I turned towards the path leading to the turn towards the viewing screens that another pair of both Dunnock and Wren were noted along with a couple of Long-tailed Tits in the old tree in front of me.

With the water at the far end of the path too deep for my walking boots I turned to start the walk back but stopped to scope the relatively nearby water beyond the trees and shrubs.  In addition tot a pair of Mute Swans a pair of Gadwall were observed.  Back at the gate to take the canal path southwards first a Blackcap then a Green Woodpecker calling from the wood on the opposite side.  No sooner had I stopped to check the lone Mallard drake resting at the base of a tree in the water just off the opposite bank of the canal then I searched the growing reedbed to my right and not only had clear songs from the newly arrived Sedge Warblers but also a clear sighting.  (Unfortunately, too hidden to get the camera focused before the bird moved further away.)  Approaching the car park entrance more Blackcaps sighted along with a Cetti's Warbler that posed in front of me and refused to move - so no chance of trying to reach into the rucksack for my camera!

Male Blackbird Turdus merula

Rather than straight to the car, I continued along the path, noting the Chaffinches on the opposite side as I approached the road bridge, and once under the bridge and up to the main road made my way to the first viewing point over the main water.  At lest fifteen Mute Swans present along with a handful of Great Crested Grebe, Pochard and Tufted Ducks.  The larger viewing point a little further along the road also produced a few Coot, a dozen Canada Geese and a few more Greylags. Seven Cormorants were roosting atop the dead trees in the middle of the water and below a trio of Lesser Black-backed Gulls.  Time to return to the car but with another stop before actually leaving the canalside so able to record yet more Robin and Chiffchaff as well as the Song Thrush in the bushes as I took the path down to the underpass from the main road.  All in all, a very enjoyable and rewarding morning.  Home in the dry and plenty of time to prepare for my visit to the local surgery to have, it turned out, no less than thirty stitches removed following the minor operation a fortnight ago to remove some suspect spots on my chest for the following autopsy.  And now its gone 5 0'clock and its raining once again!

 Lesser Black-backed Gulls Larus fuscus with Mute Swans Cygnus olor

Birds seen:

Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Mute Swan, Gadwall, Mallard, Shoveler, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Pheasant, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Heron, Coot, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Woodpigeon, Green Woodpecker, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Cetti's Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Long-tailed Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch.


For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment