Tuesday 19 March 2024

El Fondo Reserve with David Elliott-Binns

Glossy Ibis (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

El Fondo  -  Monday 18th March

Gilly was arriving at Alicante airport at about 14.30, so I left home early, getting to the El Fondo bird reserve Information centre car park at about 12.  En route from the motorway I logged Collared Dove, Crested Lark and House Sparrow.  The car park was virtually full, including a couple of coaches.  Sitting having a coffee and two cheese scones, I scanned the shallow waters in front of me.  I could see Greater Flamingos, Glossy Ibises, Moorhen, Coot and Black Winged Stilts.  I moved around to the Information Centre observation area.  The viewing area was littered with small backpacks.  I assume the primary school was on a day out prior to Easter holidays.  Picking my way through the assault course, I scanned the enclosed pond.  Presumably due to the noise from the kids might be the cause for the lack of birds.  I did manage to see a Red-knobbed Coot and a Purple Swamphen.

Purple Swamphen (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

I moved round to the wooden walkway.  I checked the shallow waters in front of me.  I counted 110 Glossy Ibis and some Greater Flamingos . I also saw Little Grebe and Little Egret.  As I made my way to the observation platform I saw more Red-knobbed Coots.  I heard Cetti's Warbler.  I had distant views of three Marbled Ducks. I found an Iberian Yellow Wagtail. The Black Winged Stilts had begun to nest.

Iberian Yellow Wagtail (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

I moved to the far hide as the next one was full.  Here I found some Shelduck, a Mallard and another Marbled Duck, which thrilled a Spanish birding couple who hadn't noticed it.  I retraced my steps to the other, it now being empty.  I added Red-crested Pochard and Cattle Egret to the list.  As I walked back to the car a Woodpigeon flew over.  The last bird on the list was a Linnet perched on a roadside fence en route back to the motorway.

Distant Marbled Ducks (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

El Fondo always produces good birds.  Also a lot are not fazed by humans on the walkway that they come very close.  The nesting Black-winged Stilts were 5 metres away.

Nesting Back-winged Stilt (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

Another additional bird photo from my back garden....A Black Wheatear.

Garden shot of Black Wheatear (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

Would also like to mention David & Myrtle Green. They celebrated their 62nd Wedding Anniversary yesterday. I'm sure you'll join me in sending them best wishes!
Regards
Dave
David & Myrtle Green celebrating their 62nd Wedding Anniversary

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.


No comments:

Post a Comment