Saturday 20 January 2024

New Forest Coast

Bohemian Waxwing Bombycilla garrulus

Friday 19 January

A beautiful, clear, sunny day for my day in the New Forest but a mere -2C when I left home having first de-frosted and scraped away the overnight ice.  But by afternoon and the sun still shining in a clear blue sky, the temperature had risen to a magnificent 6C, and I even managed to remove my outer coat and gloves!  Waiting in the level crossing queue at Brockenhurst a pair of Jackdaws were foraging on the pavement beside me. Then on through Lymington and parked up to wander around Normandy Lagoon and its neighbouring water, Acre Pond on the Lymington Reserve.

Approaching the lagoon, the last filed on the right held well in excess of 200 Canada Geese and a few foraging Carrion Crow, possibly as a result of most of the lagoons either frozen over or relatively empty at low tide. Walking to the sea wall both Magpie and Blackbird noted then, immediately upon arrival, the first group of the many Dunlin feeding on the mud. A little further away a range of waders including Oystercatcher, Curlew and Redshank plus the occasional Herring Gull.  The pool was completely frozen save for a small area towards the back which held the massed mixed flock of Teal mainly), Pintail, Wigeon and a few Mallard.  The neighbouring small island held a dozen Lapwing and then chance to look on the seaward side of the wall where I found a single Brent Goose along with many more of the previously seen waders plus a small number of Ringed Plovers.

Ringed Plover Charadrius hiaticula
Redshank Tring totanus feeding on  small fish

Making my way back a Cormorant flew over and then I picked up five Great Crested Grebes on the open water plus away in front of me a small group of Avocet and a number of Grey Plover.  Both Little Egret and Turnstone were busy feeding below me then the sight of a Heron harrying a passing Great Black-backed Gull; interesting!  Meanwhile, further away I stopped to check a bird atop a distant pole and as it flew off confirmed my suspicion of a Kingfisher.

Little Egret Egretta garzetta

Continuing on round to the adjacent Acre Pond I found a mixed group of duck including Mallard, Tufted Duck and Shoveler along with a few Coot, Little GrebesRedshanks and another Little Egret.  A pair of Mute Swans at the back and a single Egyptian Goose atop the island were added to the day's list.  Finally, walking back along the road to my parked car I was able to add Robin, Blue Tit, House Sparrow and a handful of Long-tailed Tits in the tree opposite the car.

Egyptian Goose Alopochen aegyptiaca

Once arrived at the neighbouring Pennington Marsh section of the reserve, I immediately had a Jay fly across the road in front of me and then a couple of Carrion Crows. The frozen water on the meadow meant no resting Golden Plover but still a few Lapwing plus a good-sized flock of Greylag Geese. First a quick visit to the small lake to the right of the cycle track to Keyhaven where a number of both Herring and Black-headed Gulls  plus Wigeon and Coot were noted.  On the far bank a resting group of at least a hundred Canada Geese and then a a couple of Shelduck flew over and away towards the coast.

Common Snipe Gallinago gallinago

Back to the car to take the path towards Butts rather than Pennington Lagoon.  First a check with the scope over the meadow and in addition to the Lapwing a trio of Snipe were found. Along the path I recoded a number of Robin plus Magpie, Woodpigeon, Dunnock and Blackbird. Once at the shore I walked halfway along the bank of Butts lagoon and then stopped to admire the half-dozen Bearded Tits that were ravenously feeding on the seed less than ten metres away.  Below me on the bank a Goldcrest was foraging in a small bush.  The flock of fifty Brent Geese arrived flying over me and returning before settling on the main water off Butts.

Male Bearded Tit Panurus biarmicus

On the bank opposite Butts I found a number of resting ducks including Pintail, Teal and Wigeon along with Curlew, Little Egret, Oystercatcher, Grey Plover and Dunlin. Returning by the same route to the car I stopped just before passing through the gate to check the "large Blackbird" that suddenly flew into the tall bush behind the car showing signs of colouring.  Although well concealed by the foliage, no doubt a single Fieldfare and hardly had it arrived when a second appeared from somewhere below in the bush to drive the new arrival away.  Quite an unexpected bonus sighting.

Curlew Numenius arquata

After a very short meal stop I made my way over to Romsey and at a cemetery towards the north-east of the town, along with maybe a score of others, found the two Waxwing, which had been previously feeding on nearby Rowan berries, atop a large tree at the entrance to the cemetery. Beautiful views of the birds in full sunlight and how I wish I still had my Canon camera and lenses!


Bohemian Waxwing Bombycilla garrulus

Thirty minutes later saw me at nearby Fishlake Meadows where after a quick look along the nearby path I made my way up to the road and the first viewpoint over the water before returning to the main reserve and walking the foot path alongside the canal till the turn inland before retracing my steps.  Once at the roadside view point it was, again, disappointing to find the water completely frozen over and almost devoid of birdlife save for a couple of Black-headed Gulls.  Yes, a Magpie in the trees on the far bank but then, turning around, I noted the male Bullfinch in a tree on the other side of the stream, albeit partially concealed by the many branches between the bird and myself.

Male Bullfinch Pyrrhula pyrrhula

Returning to the canal path I soon recorded a few Carrion Crow and Woodpigeon and the first of very many Robins and Blue Tits. A total of seven Mallard on the water plus a Moorhen.  A Heron flew across and away towards the the main water and, in the distance, I could see a Mute Swan.

Robin Erithacus rubecula

Making my way along the path I found a Goldcrest and a noisy Cetti's Warbler.  At the end of the track I stopped at the main gate just through the pedestrian gate to check the nearby wooded area and added Great Tit, Dunnock and House Sparrow.  Finally, as I made my way back to the car park, I recorded a couple of Chiffchaff and, right at the end in a large tree full of mistletoe, I found a resting Mistle Thrush to bring up the 56th species for the day.  Great birding and eight new sightings for the month and year.

Mistle Thrush Turdus viscivorus

Birds seen:

Greylag Goose, Brent Goose, Canada Goose, Mute Swan, Egyptian Goose, Shelduck, Wigeon, Mallard, Shoveler, Teal, Pintail, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Little Egret, Heron, Buzzard, Moorhen, Coot, Oystercatcher, Avocet, Ringed Plover, Grey Plover, Lapwing, Dunlin, Snipe, Curlew, Redshank, Turnstone, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull,  Rock Dove, Woodpigeon, Kingfisher, Waxwing, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Fieldfare, Mistle Thrush, Cetti's Warbler, Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Bearded Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Jay, Magpie, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Starling, House Sparrow, Goldfinch, Bullfinch.

Bohemian Waxwing Bombycilla garrulus

Female Bearded Tit Panurus biarmicus

Male Bearded Tit Panurus biarmicus
Bearded Tit Panurus biarmicus

Brent Goose Branta bernicla
Avocets Recurvirostra avosetta with a Curlew



Dunlin Calidris alpina

Curlew with Turnstone Arenaria interpres

Little Grebe Tachybaptus ruficollis

Wigeon Anas penelope with a male Pintail Anas acuta (right)

Mainly Shoveler Anas clypeta with Tufted Duck Aythya fuligula

Blue Tit Parus caeruleus


Sheltering ducks on Normany Lagoon. Mainly Teal with Pintail, Wigeon and Mallard

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment