Monday 18 September 2023

Visit to El Fondo with Dave Elliott-Binns

 Monday 18 September

Looks as if my friend, Dave Elliott-Binns has found another excuse for visiting the fabulous El Fondo reserve on his way either to or back from Alicante Airport.  Make one feel quite envious!

El Fondo, Elche   -   Monday 18th September

Red-crested Pochard (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

I had to drop a friend off at Alicante airport this morning, so I took the opportunity to  pop into the El Fondo bird reserve.  It would've been rude not to!  Apart from some House Sparrows I didn't log any birds upon the approach to the car park.  My usual routine was to park opposite the shallow waters and check for birds whilst I had a thermos cup of coffee.  Sadly the shallow waters were totally engulfed in reeds.  After a coffee I walked to the information centre to check the waters from a different angle. There were only two patches of water clear of reeds, one of which had some Coot on.  I also saw Barn Swallows and Spotless Starlings.  A Blackbird sat on the path.  Similarly, at the Information pool the only clear patch of water had a Red-knobbed Coot swimming in it.

Red-knobbed Coot (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

I set off along the raised wooden walkway.  There were some larger areas of water free of reeds.  I observed a number of Common Terns quartering the water.  There were small rafts of Red-crested Pochards and a couple of Purple Swamphen together with a youngster.  I heard a Cetti's Warbler.  I glimpsed an immature Greater Flamingo, a pair of Grey Heron and a Little Egret.  I got within three metres of an unfazed Red-knobbed Coot just beside the walkway.   A Squacco Heron flew by.  I went as far as the observation deck and headed back.  Along the track to the main road I added Iberian Grey Shrike and a Bee-eater.  A Kestrel flew over as I headed to the motorway.

Purple Swamphen (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)

To say I was disappointed would be an underestimation!  Hopefully the rangers will get their reed cutting machine out and clear the majority of the reeds so you can actually have a chance of seeing the excellent birds that inhabit their reserve. 18 species seen.
Regards
Dave

Juvenile Purple Swamphen (PHOTO: David Elliott-Binns)


Better luck next time Dave; it can only get better as winter approaches.

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment