Sunday 25 December 2022

Titchfield Canal

 Sunday 25 December

A merry Christmas and happy New Year to all reading this blog.  Christmas morning in the UK; dull and overcast with very poor light for my early morning visit to Titchfield canal. Rain forecast for 10 but came 15 minutes early, but I was already back in the car completing my eBird observations! Lots on the water including very many Pintail, Gadwall, Wigeon and Teal along with Coots and Canada Geese. A Buzzard was feeding on the grass next to the water, presumably looking for worms, and remained in the area during the whole of my stay.

Distant record shot of the feeding Buzzard Buteo buteo

Meanwhile, I was also early enough to catch a distant and somewhat obscured view of the local Barn Owl at its nest/roost site, just about visible before turning in for the night (or day in its case!).

Distant Barn Owl Tyto alba just about visible at its roost site

Having already noted many Jackdaws along with both Magpie and Carrion Crow I continued on down to the path towards the wooded area. Lots of Woodpigeons about but a long time before finding any small birds. First a couple of Blackbirds then both Blue and Great Tits. Making my way back to exit the wooded path, a Great Spotted Woodpecker came to make a very brief feeding stop before flying off.

Back at the car and the scope safely stored in the boot I decided to tale the short walk around the spinney at the back of the car park. And very worthwhile it was too! First a posing Robin atop a small tree in front of me and then, looking through the hedge to the paddock on the other side of the wide stream, a trio of Glossy Ibis. No doubt the missing member of the quartet was concealed behind the neighbouring ditch. Then, noting the activity above me in the bare bushes, a good-sized flock of Long-tailed Tits and a single wintering Chiffchaff. As if not content with the morning's sightings, as I returned to the car park a Nuthatch descended on to the tree in front of me and the canal on the other side of the road held a single Mallard as I made my exit. And still dry; what timing!

Birds seen:

Canada Goose, Mute Swan, Gadwall, Wigeon, Mallard, Shoveler, Teal, Pintail, Cormorant, Buzzard, Coot, Glossy Ibis, Black-headed Gull, herring Gull,  Woodpigeon, Barn Owl, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Robin, Blackbird, Chiffchaff, Long-tailed Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Nuthatch, Magpie, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow.

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment