Wednesday 5 November 2014

Rio Velez, Torre del Mar

5 November 2014

It may be "Bonfire day" but there were certainly no fireworks, let alone, crackers, down at the Rio Velez this late morning.  Having been to the local garage to have the battery systems checked it was gone mid-day when I arrive in glorious sunshine, clear blue skies but quite a strong wind.  Everything was looking lush and overgrown and, what with the wind, very little chance of seeing anything.  I was greeted by a single Black Redstart on arrival but other than a lone Grey Heron and a handful of feeding Chiffchaffs all that remained to be seen were the newly-arrived White Wagtails, a large charm of Goldfinches and resident Rock Doves.  Not forgetting, of course, the collection of gulls silhouetted on the main lagoon and the inevitable, it would seem, flypast of marauding Monk Parakeets.  Thirty minutes later I was gone with more White Wagtails and Black Redstarts along with a couple of Collared Doves as I drove up to Los Romanes.

The day, from my point of view, was not improved when i received a text on the way home from John and Jenny to inform me that there were twenty to thirty Ring Ouzels up on the Sierra Loja!  Should I drive over tomorrow or wait till Saturday?

No comments:

Post a Comment