Monday 22 May 2023

Roquetas de Mar

Monday 22 May

Whimbrel

 What a fishy wet and miserable day!  No point hanging around at Las Norias despite the many low-flying Pallid Swifts and with the roads under water with much flooding I carried on to Roquetas de Mar to take a menu del did and hope that the weather might improve in the afternoon.  It did not.

After an afternoon in my hotel room I decided I needed some fresh air despite the continuing heavy rain so drove down to nearby salinas and took a return drive to the far end near the old pumping station.  Lots of Flamingos about and the Slender-billed Gull seemed to be by far the dominant gull species albeit I did also record some Yellow-legged Gulls.

Mainly Black-winged Stilts on view with most of the small waders hunkered down for shelter but occasional glimpses of birds on both the track and nearby scrapes revealed a number off both Ringed and Kentish Plovers.  Initially also a number of Pallid Swifts, Barn Swallows and House Martins above but not as I moved away from the reserve entrance.  A pool to my right produced a small number of Red-crested Pochards and even a couple Mallard and a Shelduck.

Moving on down the flooded track I eventually found the main Flamingo flock but also a handful of Avocet. A lone Knot was a bit of a surprise but then I also found a few Dunlin. It was at the end of my drive near the old pumping station that I cam across the Yellow-legged Gulls and on the water a few Coot plus a feeding Great Crested Grebe and a resting Little Tern.

Little Tern

Making my way back I did take a chance to try and take a few photos through the opened rather than closed window.  Lovely to see a Grey Plover and then a first Little Ringed Plover.  On the opposite side of the track I stopped to admire a few small waders and and identified a Sanderling. But the best surprise was the resting Whimbrel. And on the next scrape a newly-arrived Little Tern.  Right at the end of the track my first Crested Lark and in the area immediately outside the gate both House Sparrow and Blackbird, so giving a final total of 26 species on the 5km drive in just over an hour. Still raining outside but hoping for better weather in the morning when I drive up to Cabo de Gata.

Sanderling

Birds seen:

Shelduck, Mallard, Red-crested Pochard, Great Crested Grebe, Little Egret, Flamingo, Coot, Black-winged Stilt, Avocet, Little Ringed Plover, Ringed Plover, Kentish Plover, Grey Plover, Sanderling, Knot, Dunlin, Whimbrel, Slender-billed Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Little Tern, Pallid Swift, Crested Lark, Barn Swallow, House Martin, Blackbird, House Sparrow

Kentish Plover

Flamingos

Little Tern

Avocet

Slender-billed Gulls

Whimbrel

More Slender-billed Gulls

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment