Tuesday 23 May 2023

Cabo de Gata

Tuesday 23 May

Cabo de Gata looking towards the distant sea

With the sun shining and rain promised I made my way straight from Roquetas to the beautiful Cabo de Gata on the far side of Almeria city.  The only "fly in the ointment" was the fact that whilst the stone brightly there were next to no birds on show apart from the 100 plus Flamingos.  From the first hide on the corner a couple of Black-winged Stilts and behind me a couple fo Crested Larks.  Pallid Swifts and House Martins flying around above as I made my way to the next hide and passed both Collared and rock doves as I passed through the village.

Flamingos and Avocets

Nothing to see at the hide so on down to the Public Hide where, again, many ,more Flamingos plus a handful of Avocets. Just three Yellow-legged Gulls on view but driving from the hide down a flooded track to the back of there church I picked up both Greenfinch and House Sparrow.  

Greenfinch

On the way up the hill towards the lighthouse a couple of Thekla Larks and a very young Red-legged Partridge cross the edge of the road in front of me.  Yes, there were both Barn Swallows and Pallid Swifts about on the road leading up to the coastguard but it was at a small parking area at the Botton of the last hill that I found the Sardinian Warbler.  Returning towards the salinas I was fortunate enough to come across a Black Wheatear atop one of the pylons. With so few birds about I decided to make an early exit an head back top Granada province to meet up and stay with my great friend Mick Richardson for the next three days.

Birds seen:

Red-legged Partridge, Flamingo, Black-winged Stilt, Avocet, Yellow-legged Gull, Rock Dove, Collared Dove, Pallid Swift, Crested Lark, Thekla Lark, Barn Swallow, House Martin, Black Wheatear, Sardinian Warbler, House Sparrow, Greenfinch.

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment