Monday 1 May 2023

Double Titchfield!

Blue Tit Parus caereus

Monday 1 May

With the promise of a possible light shower at most, I was away from home and at Brownwich Lane on the western outskirts of Titchfield by 8 o'clock.  Dry and cloudy but certainly calm as I took the three mile walk down the lane and then an anti-clockwise loop at the end to take in both the freshwater pool and the beach before returning to the car. No sooner out of the car and I was recording Woodpigeon, Dunnock, Carrion Crow and Blackbird.  As soon as I set off towards the Solent Robins, Wrens, Blue and Great Tits along with Magpie were added to the morning's sightings.

Strange to see a lone Canada Goose in a garden to my right and then atop a pole, a Collared Dove.  A Jackdaw flew away from the farm buildings as I passed and in the field opposite a cock Pheasant. As I approached the final, isolated, building on the right before passing many agricultural fields I noticed what I assumed would be a House Sparrow on the apex. But closer inspection with the bins revealed the vivid white cheek patch and no breast colouring along with the chocolate brown head.  Not a House but a "rare" Tree Sparrow.  I was later to find a trio of House Sparrows near Brownwhich Farm, some 400 metres further on.

Brownwich Beach overlooking the Solent

Approaching the fresh water pond both Greenfinches and Chaffinches were recorded along with a couple of Black-headed Gulls in a couple of fields holding over an hundred Carrion Crows in total.  There was even a pair of foraging Oystercatchers.  However, unbelievably, there was next to nothing on the pond, just a solitary Mute Swan masked by the reeds on the far side.  On the other hand, a number of singing and moving Chiffchaffs were noted.

Male Chaffinch Fringilla coelebs

making my way down the narrow path to the shore, more Carrion Crows and Woodpigeons along with both Cetti's Warblers and Whitethroats. Then, as I made my way back to the car at the top of the lane, more Robins and Wrens plus a number of Chaffinches and both Blue and Great Tits, but also a couple of Goldfinches.  Once back a the car I noticed a pair of Mallard in the wooded field on the other side of the lane.

Always a Woodpigeon Columba palumbus to be seen!

Still only mid-morning so decided to carry on towards Titchfield village and visit the canal walk from the car park in Bridge Street.  Lots of birds seen in part two of the morning's Titchfield visit. As I got out of the car both Greenfinches and a Song Thrush were singing and showing almost next to the car.  Ere I moved off I also added Blackbird, Robin and, of course, both Carrion Crow and one the very many Woodpigeons in the area.

The next stop was at the Barn Owl viewing site (both both birds well concealed this morning) albeit the pair of Stock Doves were still present in the same, old tree.  Looking towards the flooded area, a number of Black-headed Gulls and a pair of Shelduck along with both Coot and Mallard.  No shortage of Canada Geese including two sitting tight on their respective nest and above the water at least a score of Common Swifts.

Looking east to Bridge Street Floods

Moving on down the path I soon added both Wren and Cetti's Warbler and then the first Blackcap of the morning.  In the distance to my left a Green Woodpecker was busy "yaffling" away and then a second to my right. A pair of Linnets put in an appearance and then the first of four Whitethroats seen in the immediate area.  Moving on I noted the Magpie in the field to my left and both Blue and Great Tits to the right amongst the bushes and trees.  Finally, the breeding Long-tailed Tits were seen in the willow tree next to their lovely nest hidden deep in a bramble bush.

Record shot Whitethroat Sylvia communis
Still camera shy!

Time to check the Posbrook Floods as a pair of Greylag Geese flew upriver where I found a number of Coots, Mallard and more Canada Geese.  Also present a pair of Mute Swans and a lone Heron.  Gulls were a mixture of Black-headed and Herring but also a couple of Lesser Black-backed Gulls. The horse field beyond the canal to my right produced a score of Jackdaw and a the odd Starling and then I was listening to and seeing Chiffchaffs, as well as the many Cetti's Warblers, as I continued on down the hard surface track.  Looking back over the water from the far end I did find a single resting Cormorant and a pair of Gadwall whilst, fling above me, a passing Barn Swallow.

Grey Heron Ardea cinerea

On this occasion I carried on further down the canal path and came across a Dunnock followed by a cock Pheasant in the meadow on my left.  The stream at the back held another Mute Swan and it was soon time to turn and make my way back to the car park. The return walk resulted in more views of birds already seen. Posbrook Floods now held a pair of Greater Black-backed Gulls and just after I  came across a pair of Jays and then a courting pair of Whitethroat. Then, once back at the northern end of Bridge Street Flood a closer look at the two resting gulls confirmed a pair of Yellow-legged Gulls. A most enjoyable morning covering just on five miles and recorded a final total of 46 species before returning home and finding a Pied Wagtail in the back garden

Record shot of Jay Garrulus glandarius
And its partner taking off to join him in the trees

Birds seen:

Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Mute Swan, Shelduck, Gadwall, Mallard, Pheasant, Cormorant, Heron, Coot, Oystercatcher, Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Rock Dove, Stock Dove, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Common Swift, Green Woodpecker, Barn Swallow, Pied Wagtail, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Cetti's Warbler,  Whitethroat, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Long-tailed Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Jay, Magpie, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Starling, House Sparrow, Tree Sparrow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet.

Not the horse family but the pair of Yellow-legged Gulls Larus michahellis behind

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment