Wednesday 3 May 2023

Fishlake Meadows, Romsey


Wednesday 3 May

Male Cuckoo Cuculus canorus

Dedication; never mind that we are off on a cruise around the UK tomorrow morning still time o make use of a wonderful bright and sunny start to the day and arrived at Fishlake Meadows, Romsey at 7.15 to walk the nature reserve trail. First things first to make sure I am wearing my wellington boots as the final path is still under water. No sooner had I set off to follow the canal path than I was seeing Woodpigeons, Carrion Crows, Robins, Wrens and Blackbirds. Very soon after I added both Chiffchaff, Great Tit and Goldfinch.

One of the pools at Fishlake Meadows

It would appear that this canal path offered the best viewing of the whole site in terms of what might be seen so much time spent here both on the outward and return journeys.  Looking across the meadows I could see the regular comings and goings of the many Greylag Geese and also a single Canada Goose moving to the main water.  Nearer to me first a Magpie then the first Whitethroats of the morning along with both Sedge and Reed WarblersBlue Tits were foraging in the branches above me and I could hear a distant Cuckoo.  High above the water at least a dozen Common Swifts.

Whitethroat Sylvia communis

Approaching the gate to take the left turn  I found rather bedraggled Pheasant in the horse field on the other side of the canal but also a few Blackcaps above me.  Both Mallard and Tufted Duck were noted on the water away to my left. It was at this corner that I heard a very distinctive call and eventually fund the Grasshopper Warbler.  What a short walk along this very productive area to the next turn left towards the hides.  A Kestrel was hovering above me and then a Dunnock in the bushes to my left.  More Sedge Warblers singing to my right and then a second Pheasant sitting atop a pile of dead grasses.

Dunnock Prunella modularis

But, best of all, the calling Cuckoo now appeared on the wires above me to my right and I was able to take a number of distant photos from either side as I walked between the two gates.

Cuckoo Cuculus canorus

Once on the flooded path to the hides I had more Sedge and Reed Warblers and even added a male Reed Bunting. Coot and Mallard in the first water and once reaching the two hides (screens) more Greylag Geese along with a few more Coot and Mallard

Greylag Geese Anser anser

Making my way back on the return journey again, many long stops to watch the Whitethroats and then the finding of my first Garden Warbler.  So busy watching the bird work its way through the branches that I was also able to see the Tree-creeper fly through my line of vision and land almost next to the Garden Warbler.  And here, immediately below me, yet another cock Pheasant and what a handsome chap he looked as he made the most of the absent "big bangers!"

Cock Pheasant Phasianus colchicus

A little surprised at my next stop to actually see a pair of House Sparrows in addition to the Whitethroat and above me more Common Swifts along with a soaring Buzzard. At this point a pair of Barn Swallows few past, left to right and away on the "Osprey Platform" a pair of Egyptian Geese. The final photograph on this section of path was the Wren that finally came out of the scrub to perch in the neighbouring tree.

Wren Troglodytes troglodytes

Once out of my wellies and back into trainers I continued along the path and under the bridge so that I could access the main road to pay a visit to the viewing point.  This revealed very little on the main water other that eight Canada Geese, seven Great Crested Grebes and a couple of Lesser black-backed Gulls plus another Coot and Greylag Goose.  Then I noticed the four resting Cormorant before deciding it was time to set off back home and pack my case in readiness for tomorrow's round Britain cruise.  And as a special send off, a Song Thrush put in an appearance taking the morning's total to 37 species.

Birds seen:

Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Pheasant, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Buzzard, Kestrel, Coot, Lesser black-backed Gull, Stock Dove, Woodpigeon, Cuckoo, Common Swift, Barn Swallow, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Cetti's Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, Whitethroat, Garden Warbler, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Tree-creeper, Magpie, Carrion Crow, House Sparrow, Goldfinch, Reed Bunting.

Whitethroat Sylvia communis
Robin Erithacus rubecula

Egyptian Geese Alopochen aegyptiaca
Buzzard Buteo buteo
Cock Pheasant Phasianus colchicus

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment