Saturday 30 December 2023

Pennington Marshes, Lymington

Friday 29 December

having had a twenty minute rest from the morning's visit to Titchfield Canal, I was in the car and off to Lymington to visit the nearby Pennington Marshes, arriving just on 1.30pm, and noting the over-flying Buzzard a I approached the site. Still dry and with broken cloud and a low, penetrating sun I mad my way from the parking space at the end of Lower Pennington Land across the reserve to the Solent coast.  The flooded fields to my left held at least 350 resting Golden Plover along with hundreds of Lapwing and a few Canada and Greylag Geese. The occasional Carrion Crow was feeding nearby.

Golden Plovers Pluvialis apricaria (above) and Lapwing Vanellus vanellus nearer to the camera

Stopping at the first pond to the left of the track I noted the quartet of Gadwall along with a pair of Mallard, single Redshank and a foraging Pied Wagtail. A couple of nearby Magpies as I continued on down to the coast and the a large flock of sixty plus Linnets swirling around in front of me and making use of the local bushes. Once at the shore, time to note the lone Turnstone then look inland and see many more Lapwing plus many Teal, sheltering in the sun and away from the increasing wind, plus a large number of Wigeon. Even the resting Redshank looked out of place. Far away in the distance I could see a quintet of Spoonbill to add t the single individual that had been at the back of the flooded field.  Nearer tome, a couple of Oystercatchers.

Redshank Tringa totanus enjoying the sunshine

Retracing my steps and on past the approach track along the sea wall I stopped to check the large water on my right.  Mainly Shoveler and a few Coot plus a few Mallards. The final water before the sharp turn to the right not only held  small number of Tufted Duck but also a visiting Scaup.

Shoveler Anas clypeata

So to the final pool before turning inland to make my way back to the car.  Many more birds on this water including Wigeon, Shoveler, Mallard and Pintail plus Coots and a large number of Brent Geese.  No shortage of Black-headed and even more Herring Gulls.

Pintail Anas acuta with a quartet of Shoveler A.clypeata below

Once on the higher ground I could look back at the water and see the departing small flock of Golden Plover, note the number of Lapwings and even find a couple of resting Shelduck. As I mad my way along the track off to the right I noted the large flocks of both Golden Plover and Lapwing in the air.

Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria flock on the move
Likewise, a few of the Lapwing Vanellus vanellus flock

Once scope and rucksack off-loaded into the car I took a short walk down the continuing lane, closed to vehicles, and noted a good number of Herring Gulls on the lake to my right.  Stopping to check out the rear, now close to me, large pool I had seen from the sea wall I found many flighty Black-headed Gulls and, immediately in front of me, a Heron plus many Lapwing, Teal, Coot and Brent Geese, etc.

Heron Ardea cinerea and friends

Birds seen:

Greylag Goose, Brent Goose, Canada Goose, Shelduck, Gadwall, Wigeon, Mallard, Shoveler, Teal, Pintail, Tufted Duck, Scaup, Heron, Spoonbill, Buzzard, Coot, Oystercatcher, Golden Plover, Lapwing, Black-tailed Godwit, Redshank, Turnstone, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Woodpigeon, Pied Wagtail, Blackbird, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Linnet.

Lapwing Vanellus vanellus


Greylag Geese Anser anser


For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment