Friday 1 December 2023

Lower Hamble River

Greenshank Tringa nebularia

Friday 1 December

Should have been in bed as not feeling too well but the sun was shining and early morning coincided with an incoming tide on the Hamble River. So, what you might call stupid birding as I put on extra layers from top to bottom and ventured out of the house just after ten. (Good job nobody else was at home!) Extremely cold and still at -2C following a severe overnight frost and biting cold on the fingers but, as I crossed the road outside a "honking" Canada Goose flew over the road looking for the rest of its flock.  Reaching the nearby riverside walk than I was greeted by an incoming handful of Turnstone plus Redshank and Black-tailed Godwit. Ere long I added resting Wigeon, Teal and Cormorant along with feeding Curlew and both Grey and Ringed Plovers. Naturally there was a feeding Little Egret and, probably best of all, as I walked up the path a Rock Pipit took off from almost below my feet.

Curlew Numenius arquata (Left) and Grey Plover Pluvialis squatarola

Lovely to see the large feeding flock of Dunlin and out on the open water a Great Crested Grebe. A Carrion Crow flew across the water close to the shore and behind me, in the neighbouring trees, the only Magpie of the morning.

A few of the Dunlin Calidris alpina

A pair of Oystercatchers and a lone, immature Herring Gull were at the edge of the flat flood plain but realising how cold my hands were and still not safe on my feet, I decided I ought to be sensible and turned back for home rather than carry on up to the conservation area.  The return journey saw me notice the small group of Teal sheltering under the back awaiting the incoming tide and a second Grey Plover recorded on a mudflat to the left of the path.
The resting Teal Anas crecca
As I approached the car park and hoe my one and only Woodpigeon of the morning.  One consolation of the cold weather was, would you believe it, not a singe dog walker seen and less than a handful of brave walkers out in the still frosty conditions!
Wigeon Anas penelope

Birds seen:

Brent Goose, Canada Goose, Wigeon, Teal, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Little Egret, Oystercatcher, Ringed Plover, Grey Plover, Dunlin, Black-tailed Godwit, Curlew, Redshank, Greenshank, Turnstone, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Woodpigeon, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Rock Pipit.

Cormorant Phalacrocorax carbo with a number of Wigeon Anas penelope

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment