Sunday 23 April 2023

Warsash: Wormans Lane and Shore

Saturday 22 April

A dull and cloudy, but still, start to the day and with rain promised by mid to late morning, I was out of the house by just after 7.30 to visit nearby Workmans Lane. However, a stop just over half-way in Hook lane to take the forest track next to Bridge House to explore, for the first time, the wooded area and adjacent common. Lots of Robins and Wrens along with Blackbirds and Woodpigeons and by the time I had completed an extended circuit I had also added Blue and Great Tits, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Magpie and Jackdaw.  No shortage of Carrion Crows and then a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Magpie Pica pica

Continuing on to park at the top of Workmans Lane, I prepared myself for a circular walk taking in the lane down to the shore, along the shore to to the Scrape and then retrace my steps along the shore to take the track back up to Cowes Lane and so on to the car.  And the good news, the weather even brightened up a little and no rain. No sooner had I stepped out of the car than I was recording both Magpie and Woodpigeon before the first of many Robins.  Within a hundred metres I had added Chiffchaff, Great Tit, Blackbird and a pair of Canada Geese that flew overhead to settle in the horse field behind the hedge which also revealed more Carrion Crows.  Stopping to find the singing Blackcap above me I was surprised, and delighted, to also find a pair of Jays.

One of the two Jays Garrulus glandarius

Stopping a little further on down the lane I had first a Blue Tit then a pair of Shelduck and a nearby cock Pheasant in the meadow to my right and grazing in the  middle, seven Roe Deer.

Roe Deer Capreolus capreolus

Time to take the entry track to the horse field on my left as a short diversion and walk to the far end of the initial track and back.  Both Greenfinch and Song Thrush were singing in the tree to my right and now five Canada Geese and about a dozen Carrion Crows grazing on my left.   Then looking at the large, distant pylon I could see the pair of Ravens that had made their nest on the lower extension.

Song Thrush Turdus philomelos

back to the lane and down on to the shore finding a lovely, posing Wren whilst holding the camera with a dead battery!  A pair of Mallards were on the small pond at the end of the lane and with the tide only half-way in I was able to record a number of Herring and a single Great Black-backed Gull. On the shore a single Redshank but many Oystercatchers along with the gulls on the temporary gravel island just off the shore awaiting its "drowning" as the tide continue on its inward journey.  Checking closer I also noted up to ten Brent Geese in the immediate area and a departing Heron.

Avocet Recurvirostra avosetta

next the walk along the shore to the Meandering Pool where I immediately found a single Black-tailed Godwit and Avocet.  At the back of the water a pair of resting Teal and a lone Little Egret. Reaching the far end I then added a pair of Gadwall and noticed that the Avocet had also relocated to this end.

Black-tailed Godwit Limosa limosa

So on to the Scrape where a pair of Mute Swans awaited me along with a dozen Shelduck, a quartet of Black-tailed Godwits, very many Black-headed Gulls and a pair of Little Grebe.  Above me a singing Sky Lark and a quartet of Linnets moving around the gorse bushes.

Red Fox Vulpes vulpes

Making my way back towards the Meandering Pool I had the chance to observe a pair of Sky Larks both on the ground and in the air and then a male Wheatear resting on a small shrub.  Beautiful!  And then a Fox, almost certainly a dog Fox judging by its size and condition. Finally, moving through the tress and on up to Cowes Lane, I found Blackcaps and then a single Dunnock as I walked past the houses and back to the car.

Wheatear Oenanthe oenanthe

Birds seen:

Brent Goose, Canada Goose, Mute Swan, Shelduck, Gadwall, Mallard, Teal, Tufted Duck, Pheasant, Little Grebe, Little Egret, Heron, Oystercatcher, Avocet, Black-tailed Godwit, Redshank, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Woodpigeon, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Sky Lark, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Wheatear, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Cetti's Warbler, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Jay, Magpie, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Raven, Starling, Greenfinch, Linnet.


Black-tailed Godwit Limosa limosa

Little Grebe Tachybaptus ruficollis

Oystercatchers Haematopus ostralegus, Herring Gulls Larus argentatus and Brent Geese Branta bernicla

Cock Pheasant Phasianus colchicus

Distant Raven Corvus corax at its nest site

Robin Erithacus rubecula

Shelduck Tadorna tadorna

Sky Lark Alauda arvensis

Song Thrush Turdus philomelos

Wren Troglodytes troglodytes

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment