Friday 21 April 2023

Pennington Marshes and Acres Down

Song Thrush Turdus philomelos

Thursday 20 April

The sun shining brightly in a clear blue sky with not a cloud in sight as I arrived at Pennington Marshes car park at 8.40.  On the other hand, the strong easterly wind made the current temperature seem even colder at 8C, especially when most of the morning was spent walking along the sea wall next to the Solent immediately opposite the relatively nearby Isle of Wight!  But, in the end, an enjoyable morning which produced 46 species before moving on to Acres Down near Minstead in the New Forest which produced a further six species, and the temperature had now risen to 16C.

As soon as I arrived I recorded Chaffinch and Greenfinch and above me a Sky Lark. Walking on down the lane to the large pool on the right I found Lapwing, Coot, Tufted Duck and a Great Crested Grebe and as I walked back to the car both a first Meadow Pipit of the morning and the first of a number of Woodpigeons.  Then it was the path down to the coast and the sea wall alongside the Solent.  During the walk both Magpie and Carrion Crow along with the first of very many Wrens.  In a pool to the left a few Mallard and a pair of Gadwall along with the first of the scores of Canada Geese.  Soon it was regular sightings of both Blackbird and Linnet before the large water on my right produced a Mute Swan and many Shoveler along with Black-headed Gulls.  By now the Cetti's Warblers were in good voice with the occasional sighting.

Heading east against the strong wind I checked out the water just inland form the sea wall and found a first Curlew along with a number of Avocets and a pair of Oystercatchers. Retracing my steps to head off towards Keyhaven I picked up a heron as I approached the "jetty" and then noted the number of Avocets and Black-headed Gulls on the main water I had passed on the way t the sea wall.  A Pied Wagtail flew across the track and before reaching the sharp right turn a couple of Barn Swallows flew in from the Solent.  On the sea wall below me just  single Turnstone to be seen.

Mainly Shelduck Tadorna tadorna with Black-headed Gulls Larus ridibundus

Much time was then spent between the mud flats on the seaward side if the wall and the large pool on the other side where many birds were to be seen.  On the former not only a couple more Curlew and at least three Redshank but a quartet of Dunlin playing host to the single Curlew Sandpiper.  In the meantime, a small number of Ringed Plovers were running around and feeding during their frequent stops.  The pool on the land side of the wall held a very large number of Shelduck and before the walk was completed a total of 56 had been counted.  Lots of Black-headed Gulls and many more Avocets.  Other ducks consisted of Shovelers, Teal and Tufted Ducks.  Again, many more Oystercatchers and a few Lapwing and Coots plus a number of Canada Geese and a pair of Mute Swans.  Having just found a distant Little Egret and another Barn Swallow, as I was about to move on three Brent Geese arrived on the water.

Dunlin Calidris alpina
But with a Curlew Sandpiper Calidris ferruginea (at back)

Continuing on along the wall as I approached the inlet to the "harbour I stopped to check the pair of Herring Gulls alongside a Great Black-backed Gull as a Lesser Black-backed Gull flew past.  Then it was out onto the old Pennngton Lane for a walk back to the car past a small wood.  Here I was able to record Robin, Chiffchaff and Blackcap before staring in amazement at the two Jays perched in a close-by tree on my right.  Camera to hand but the bird obscured by the twiggy branches.  A couple of Dunnocks were feeding n the track in front of me and almost opposite the lake on my left another couple of Meadow Pipits and a Greenfinch plus more Chaffinches

Greenfinch Carduelis chloris

Looking up I found a distant circling Buzzard and then, having deposited the scope in the car, took a second walk back to the sea wall following the western, rather then eastern, track.  This gave me chance to check the many bushes for, unsuccessfully, a first Whitethroat of the year but I did find Song Thrush and Wren along with a posing Greenfinch.  Back to the car and almost there when twenty-five Black-tailed Godwits flew directly over me.

Song Thrush Turdus philomelos

With the extra layers removed now that the temperature was rapidly rising and no longer exposed to the strong wind, I drove through Lymington and Lyndhurst to Minstead where arriving at Acres Down around 1.30 pm I intended to see if I, too, could find the resident Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers. Setting off down the forest track I soon found plenty of Robins, Blackbirds and Wrens then a Song Thrush busy collecting food to feed its young.  Lots of Chaffinches and the occasional Great Tit when, having met a Bob Wiltshire from Dorset who told me exactly to look for the woodpeckers, I settled down to take a detailed look at the area.  He was right when he informed me that the best time was early morning and that soon the Lessers would be out of site, etc.  

Wren Troglodytes troglodytes

Whilst studying the particular tree we did notice a soaring Buzzard overhead and then heard our first Cuckoo of the year.  Atop a nearby tall tree a Blue Tit was feeding and behind me a pair of Goldfinch. Next a walk through the nearby trees where I found both Woodpigeons and a couple of Stock Doves. Back to the "Woodpecker Tree" and more Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps before heading back to the car park where not only two more Song Thrushes but a Bullfinch.  A great day's birding and now all I need is a clam, dry morning next week for a return visit.

Blue Tit Parus caeruleus

Birds seen:

Brent Goose, Canada Goose, Mute Swan, Shelduck, Gadwall, Mallard, Shoveler, Teal, Tufted Duck, Great Crested Grebe, Little Egret, Heron, Buzzard, Coot, Oystercatcher, Avocet, Ringed Plover, Lapwing, Curlew Sandpiper, Dunlin, Black-tailed Godwit, Curlew, Redshank, Turnstone, Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull, Stock Dove, Woodpigeon, Cuckoo, Sky Lark, Barn Swallow, Pied Wagtail, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Cetti's Warbler, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Jay, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Bullfinch.

Wren Troglodytes troglodytes

Greenfinch Carduelis chloris

Distant Linnet Carduelis cannabina

Song Thrush Turdus philomelos

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment