Sunday 16 April 2023

Titchfield Canal

Long-tailed Tit Aegithalos caudatus

Sunday 16 April

A quiet day as I drove over to very nearby Titchfield Canal and recorded both Starling and Jackdaw as I approached the car park. Once changed into a boots a walk round the small spinney at the back where, to my horror, not only very muddy but deep water to wade through in my boots.  But I did record a number of smaller birds including Robin, Great and Blue Tits, Blackcap, Blackbird and Song Thrush. Once back at the car to collect the scope and head off down the path I also added both Carrion Crow and the first of very many Woodpigeon.

Starting off down the path I immediately sighted a couple of Long-tailed Tits in the first tree and then it was on to the viewing point for the Barn Owls, and both were showing well at the far side of the field on my right.  

The "at home" Barn Owls Tyto alba

To my left I had a view over the Bridge Street floods which contained a number of Black-headed Gulls along with a pair of Mute Swans, nesting Canada Geese, Gadwall, Mallard and Shoveler.  A little more concentrated searching with the scope also revealed a Glossy Ibis, Cormorant and Teal with a handful of Jackdaws foraging on the bank.  The large tree between me and the water held a resting Buzzard and to my right singing Chiffchaffs and Greenfinches.  Also present were more Robins, Wrens and Great Tits.

Very distant record shot of the Glossy Ibis Plegadis falcinellus

Once on the tarmac path I stopped to scope Posbrook Floods and soon fund an abundance of both Black-headed and Herring Gulls along with a couple of Lesser Black-backed Gulls.  At the back of the water a pair of Egyptian Geese and another Glossy Ibis revealed itself in the long grass in front of the water. Also on the water a good number of Shoveler plus a dozen or so Teal and a few Mallards plus up to five Tufted Ducks.  A single Moorhen put in an appearance to accompany the resident Coots. On the other side of the track alongside the canal many Wrens and Robins along with both Blackbird and Song Thrush.  Both Chiffchaff and Blackcap were in full voice and a Green Woodpecker was busy yaffling away beyond the nearest trees.

Egyptian Goose Alopochen aegyptiaca

Turning at the end of the hard track to make my way back a close view of one of the many calling Cetti's Warblers and another pair of Long-tailed Tits plus both Dunnock and a departing Magpie.  As I approached the original floods I could hear a bust Great Spotted Woodpecker hammering away and the first of few Barn Swallows was seen moving upriver.  Once back at the main road time to see the Collared Dove on the wires and a couple of Starling before returning to the car to make my way home.  A final total of 37 species with the Barn Owls my "Bird of the Morning" but, yet again, not a single House sparrow recorded.

Barn Owls Tyto alba in their long-serving nesting hole

Birds seen:

Canada Goose, Mute Swan, Egyptian Goose, Shelduck, Gadwall, Mallard, Shoveler, Teal, Tufted Duck, Glossy Ibis, Buzzard, Moorhen, Coot, Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Herrin Gull, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Barn Owl, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Cetti's Warbler, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Long-tailed Tt, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Magpie, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Starling, Greenfinch. 

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment