Thursday 31 January 2013

Bermejales & Cacin Area


Busy, busy time so, first, let me get John and Jenny Wainwright's account published re their visit to Bermejales on Wednesday (yesterday) and then I make a start on my visit today to the Guadalhjorce.  As I said yesterday, now that the weather has changed for the better everyone seems to be out birding.  Even Andy is over at Fuente today so I trust he will have left some good birds for me to see when I pay a visit on Saturday morning!

Meanwhile, as always, Johna and Jenny seem to have a great day's birding.


Bermejales & Cacin area  30th January 2013


A  fairly hot day, although, still pleasantly cool in the shade.  We drove round via Morelda today - mainly to fill-up with diesel.  On the way to Bermejales we saw Common annd Azure-winged
Magpies
, three Common Kestrels, Corn Buntings, Chaffinches, two Hoopoe, Spotless Starlings, Collard Doves, Woodpigeons, a Sardinian Warbler and a male Black Redstart


Egyptian Goose Ganse de Nilo Alopochen aegyptiaca (PHOTO: John Wainwright)

The embalse was deserted apart from us and after getting Jen settled I went off for my walk - in the direction of the campsite.  The first sighting was of an Egyptian Goose which fly off of the foreshore and splashed down about a hundred metres out - not before I got a photo of it though.  In the conifers to my left I saw Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit and Chaffinches. Out into the open and several White Wagtails were seen.  As I approached the small point I heard a honking and three more Egyptians Geese flew off the foreshore - going in the direction of the pedalo park - this is the first time I have seen four here, although did see three here in November 2011.


I then crossed the road and set off across country, here I found Goldfinches, a group of four Firecrests (I identified at least one male and one female ) before they flew off.  Blackbirds were in good numbers as were MistleThrushes.  A few Sardinian Warblers, Serins,
Black Redstarts, Chiffchaffs, Chaffinches and Long-tailed Tits were busy feeding in the conifers and eucalyptis and a small flock of Crossbills passed overhead.  As I passed through the trees the noisy "clapping" of Wood Pigeons departing, quietened the other birds singing for a while, then a Short-toed Treecreeper was heard - one was not seen today.


Scorpion Buthus Occitanicus (PHOTO: John Wainwright)

As I walked back down to the embalse I found a small Scorpion (Buthus Occitanicus) under one of many of the rocks in the area and on the water I saw a Cormorant.  After some refreshment I headed off in the direction of the new ayuntamiento building by the dam.  Here I found a Grey Wagtail, Serins, a Coal Tit, Song Thrush and a Robin.  As I was kneeling, taking a photograph of a Pale Cloud Yellow butterfly, two shadows made me look up and there were two Siskins - first time I have found them at the embalse itself.

Pale Cloud Yellow butterfly (PHOTO: John Wainwright)

Cacin Valley: return journey.


We branched off - on the way home - and took the quite rough road following the Cacin Gorge.  Our first views were of a male Sparrowhawk, then Chiffchaff, Chaffinches in the company of a Cirl Bunting, Great Tits, Blue Rock Thrush, and another Sardinian Warbler.  In the top of an almond tree we located a Southern Grey Shrike.


At the dam lake we found Pochard, Teal, Cormorants, Grey Herons, Cetti´s Warbler, Wood Pigeon, Grey and White Wagtails, and our first Stonechats of the day.  As we neared Morelada another Blue Rock Thrush was seen.  Several other butterflies were seen today including a Bath White, a Cleopatra and a Small Copper.


Another very enjoyable few hours, in this very productive area.


Another great report John with some wonderful sightings.




Check out the accompanying website at http://www.birdingaxarquia.weebly.com for the latest sightings, photographs and additional information.

No comments:

Post a Comment