Sunday 29 November 2020

Algarrobo Costa

Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis 

 Sunday 29 November

In these restricted times very little choice of birding activity for me.  I can walk along the short length of beach and usaully guarantee both Black-headed and Lesser Black-backed Gulls along with the occasional Cormorant and even a visiting flock of Mediterranean Gulls.  The mouth of the river Algarrobo can usually  be relied upon to provide House Sparrows and Collared Doves along with numerous Monk Parakeets and sometimes visiting White Wagtails, Serin and a possible Stonechat.  Never short of a Feral Pigeon or tow but most of the Spotless Starlings are more likely t be found upstream.

However, if I want a decent walk then it is the path alongside the river that I take upstream for about a kilometre where I pass under the motorway and have a clearer sight of the distant hills.  Taking the return walk I cross the river after about 300 metres to circumnavigate the local sewerage treatment works before re-crossing the river to continue homewards.  Today, the start of the walk through the spinney that holds a number of bowling areas and seats produced the usual Monk Parakeets, a handful of Black Redstarts and the first of many Collared Doves.  On this occasion I also had the first of the Chiffchaffs before reaching the more open stretch of grass and trees.  

No shortage of Monk Parakeets Myiopsitta monachus

A Blackbird flew across the path and then two more spotted atop a tree on the other side of the river.  More Chiffchaffs and Black Redstarts followed by a lone, departing Kestrel.  With  a small stream flowing down the river bed following recent rain hopefully more birds about as I progress upstream.  No sooner had I seen a departing female Kestrel heading away from me than I found the male resting in my tree for spotting birds.  Not only the Kestrel but a single Wood Pigeon right at the top and a few Spotless Starlings.

Male Common Kestrel Falco tinnunculus

Once in the more open area near the sports hall I had my first White Wagtail along wit more Black Redstarts the a Chiffchaff followed by the appearance of the resident House Sparrows.   Up and under the motorway where, as usual, I found a couple of Crag Martins and a good number of Black-headed Gulls circling above the hidden water deposit.  

White Wagtail Motacilla alba

Making my way back I crossed the river, very shallow over the causeway, and found a further five Cattle Egrets at the sewerage works in addition to one heading away.  House Sparrows then a quartet of Goldfinch before re-crossing the lower causeway and rejoining the path downstream.  More and more Collared Doves and Spotless Starlings along with another couple of Blackbirds and the last birds recorded a pair of Greenfinch as I approached the final spinney.  Only fifteen species but lovely to be out exercising and enjoying the morning's warm sunshine.

Cattle Egrets Bubulcus ibis to be found at the sewage works

Birds seen:

Cattle Egret, Kestrel, Black-headed Gull, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Monk Parakeet, Crag Martin, White Wagtail, Black Redstart, Blackbird, Chiffchaff, Spotless Starling, House Sparrow, Greenfinch, Goldfinch.

Not often you see a White Wagtail in a tree

Check out the accompanying website at http://www.birdingaxarquia.weebly.com for the latest sightings, photographs and additional information

No comments:

Post a Comment