Thursday 23 April 2020

More Algarrobo Costa

Thursday 23 April

The latest walk to the shops and what better day than the Queen's birthday plus also that of William Shakespeare, who also died on the same day.  A calm stat and the sun peeping out from the slight cloud cover as I set off for Lidl's.  But, I thought, no bulky goods to purchase this morning so I'll take the proper camera as well as the binoculars in on the shopping trolley.  Great start as a Sardinian Warbler flew into the ground cover as I immediately stepped on to the pathway.  Then it was along the front encountering House Sparrow, Rock Dove and Monk Parakeet and up onto the footbridge to admire he gull roost.  But wait!  Upon arriving not a single bird to be seen; serves me right for bring the camera.  Looking all around me I did eventually locate both Common and Pallid Swifts high above the apartment blocks and over the river plus both Blackbird and a couple of Spotless Starlings.  As expected, the local Monk Parakeets were still collecting nesting material and the first of the morning's Collared Doves put in an appearance.

Somebody left food out for the Ferral Pigeons Columba livia and Monk Parakeets Cotorra Argentina Myiopsitta monachus

Having decided it being Thursday I might be in time to collect a copy of the weekly free paper in English, I continued another two hundred metres beyond my usual turning up to the main road so as to arrive almost outside the newsagent.  However, no sooner had I started my little diversion than I cam across a dozen or so resting gulls on the beach which turned out to be mainly Mediterranean and the odd lesser Black-backed Gull.  Not just more Pallid Swifts flying much lower near the the above roundabout but as I walked on past the gulls a trio of Sand Martins were making their ways eastwards along the waters edge.

Mediterranean Gull Gaviota cabecinegra Larus melanocephalus
So up to the main road, collect my paper and start the walk back to the supermarket.  Above the houses on both sides I saw the handful of feeding House Martins, later followed by more swifts plus a couple of Barn Swallows over the field near my destination.

Shopping completed and both camera and bins at the top of the trolley, it was back to the front and the return journey home.  I did stop on the bridge with its deserted shore line to take an appropriate photograph, see below, but in the process also picked up the movement near the river's terminal.  Bins out and yes, a pair of visiting Sanderlings to make a pleasant change form the usual birds seen on my weekly shop.

The present-day necessary "passport" to enable Spanish birding!
Then it was back home and from the bedroom terrace where I was able to watch the return of the fishing fleet towards Caleta harbour and managed to record Gannet, Cormorant and Yellow-legged Gull.

Birds seen:
Gannet, Cormorant, Sanderling, Mediterranean Gull, Lesser Back-backed Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Rock Dove, Collared Dove, Monk Parakeet, Common Swift, Pallid Swift, Sand Martin, Barn Swallow, House Martin, Blackbird, Sardinian Warbler, Spotless Starling, House Sparrow.


Check out the accompanying website at http://www.birdingaxarquia.weebly.com for the latest sightings, photographs and additional information

No comments:

Post a Comment