Saturday 11 April 2020

Algarrobo Cost latest

11 April 2020

Mouth of the Rio Algarrobo with a few resting Gulls
Now eight days since I last ventured out so with the supermarkets once more open for business was that usual walk along to front and then up to both local supermarkets, Mercadona and Lidl to stock up on food once again.  No sooner had I reached the front and I was seeing both the local Rock Doves and House Sparrows but there, resting on the zip wire right i front of me a pair of Barn Swallows.  And given that I could see resting gulls in front of me at the mouth of the Rio Algarrobo I moved on to the footbridge to take a closer look.

Barn Swallows Golondrina Comun Hirundo rustica

Yes, mainly Black-headed but also a few immature Lesser Black-backed Gulls.  meanwhile, the noisy Monk Parakeets were charging around collecting nesting materials (I wonder these birds do any actual egg-laying and raising broods as they keep up their nest building year round) and, at the same time, I also noted a couple of Spotless Starlings on the rubble below along with a departing Blackbird.

Gull mix on the beach

Returning my gaze back to the shore I noticed the distant very white bird passing low over the water and my binoculars confirmed an adult Gannet.  From the top of the bridge I was able to lift my eyes skywards and be rewarded with both Pallid and Common Swifts which have now returned their traditional nesting sites in the nearby tall apartment blocks.  Time to move on and the first Collared Doves of the morning recorded.  Just before leaving the beach paseo to turn in towards the supermarkets I also found a small group of Yellow-legged Gulls.

Lots of police about this morning checking cars to ascertain why they were out and about and even got stopped myself and asked to produce Passport or ID card.  Not too long in Mercadona as that was mainly the bread and frozen food requirements before setting off along the short back road to neighbouring Lidl to complete my purchases.  As I passed the fields above me on the left I could not help but notice the feeding Barn Swallows low over the field accompanied by the occasional House Martin and above them more Common Swifts.

Cormorant Cormoran Grande Phalacrocorax carbo with a hair problem getting the once over from the neighbouring gulls

Shopping completed I made my way across the main car park to take the return journey back along the front and single White Wagtail dipped across in front of me.  Much of the same on the way back but, in addition, a dozen Audouin's Gulls had taken up residence on the beach along with more Mediterranean Gulls.  And on reaching the footbridge, the Lesser Black-backed Gulls had been joined by a single Cormorant.  Poor chap had not really got the idea of how to stretch out hos wings to dry off in the now warm sunshine.  Finally, a Collared Dove came to rest on the footbridge railing next to me and pleaded to have his photograph taken.  How could I refuse?

Our friendly Collared Dove Tortola Turca Streptopelia decaocto


Birds seen:
Gannet, Cormorant. Mediterranean Gull, Black-headed Gull, Audouin's Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Rock Dove, Collared Dove, Monk Parakeet, Common Swift, Pallid Swift, Barn Swallow, House Martin, White Wagtail, Blackbird, Spotless Starling, House Sparrow.

Check out the accompanying website at http://www.birdingaxarquia.weebly.com for the latest sightings, photographs and additional information

No comments:

Post a Comment