Sunday 5 May 2019

Charca de Suarez

Sunday 5 May

Charca de Suarez - Laguna del Alamo Blanco
A beautiful morning as I lay in bed reading my book and, with the gentlest hint form "her indoors" I realise that if I got a move on I could be at the Charca de Suarez reserve in time for the 10 o'clock opening.  And so it came to pass.  A beautiful warm, sunny day but a heat haze from early on.  At least twenty a dozen or more waiting for admission as I made made my way to the Laguna del Taraje where I had the bamboo hide to myself.  What did I see?  A few Mallard and a mix of adult and juvenile Coot along a number of MoorhenBarn Swallows overhead and the occasional passage of a Collared Dove but otherwise, as was to be the case on the whole reserve, very little bird life to be seen.

But open your ears and the reserve was alive with song and calling, including the resident frogs, with very speedy recognition of Nightingale, Blackbird, Cetti's Warbler and Turtle Dove.  Seeing a movement in the bushes and shrubs on the opposite side of the pool closer inspection revealed a bird trapped in the mist net being used by the local ringers.  And as I looked a the size and shape,etc it dawned upon me that the team had caught a female Common Cuckoo. Having seen a Reed Warbler in front of me I moved on to the Laguna del Alamo Blanco and, once outside the hide, had a lovely view of a Cetti's Wabler creeping through the bamboo curtain along with distant House Sparrows.

Black-winged Stilt Ciguenuela Comun Himantopus himantopus
Once in the new hide apart from Moorhens not a lot to be seen apart from the lone Spoonbill, heavily ringed, that has been present for a number of weeks plus a pair of White Stork.  A couple of Mallard flew in then out and their place was taken by a quartet of Black-winged Stilt.  Above the water feeding Barn Swallow, Common Swift and Barn Swallow.

Spoonbill Espatula Comun Platalea leucorodia
Recording a Willow Warbler on the way to the main hide overlooking the Laguna de las Aneas, I was presented with a number of Common and nesting Red-knobbed Coots along with a Little Grebe and more Moorhens.

Red-knobbed Coot Focha Moruna Fulica cristata
Not many ducks, just a few Pochard and Mallard.  But right in front of me a resting Common Sandpiper on a log just off the shore.  A distant shape in a far tree turned out to be a Heron.

Common Sandpiper Andarrios Chico Actitus hypoleuco
As expected, many more Red-knobbed Coots on the Laguna del Trebol and whilst I did not see the arriving Squacco Heron I did get a good view of the single Feruginous Duck that came out of the near reeds until speedily moved on by one of the Red-knobbed Coots.

Well-grown young Red-knobbed Coot Focha Moruna Fulica cristata with chick from second clutch?
Working my way on round to the Laguna del Lirio I came across a beautiful male Serin and once in the hide confirmed yet more Red-knobbed CootsLesser Black-backed Gulls overhead and then, with time to spare, back to the Laguna del Alamo Blanco where I managed to sight the Purple Swamphen that crossed the small gap between grasses at the back of the water and a visiting pair of Turtle Doves.  Finally, waiting for the warden to open the gates for our departure, a male Sardinian Warbler landed in the tree behind me.

Distant Turtle Dove Tortola Europea Streptopelia turtur
Birds seen:
Mallard, Pochard, Ferruginous Duck, Little Grebe, Heron, White Stork, Spoonbill, Moorhen, Purple Swamphen, Coot, Red-knobbed Coot, Black-winged Stilt, Common Sandpiper, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Turtle Dove, Collared Dove, Cuckoo, Common Swift, Barn Swallow, House Martin, Nightingale, Blackbird, Cetti's Warbler, Reed Warbler, Sardinian Warbler, Willow Warbler, Great Tit, Spotless Starling, House Sparrow, Serin


Check out the accompanying website at http://www.birdingaxarquia.weebly.com for the latest sightings, photographs and additional information

No comments:

Post a Comment