Monday 22 January 2018

Rio Velez, Torre del Mar

Monday 22 January

Malaga this morning to visit the Hospital Civil and get the all clear on my cataract operation.  Celebrated by driving home along the coast road east of Rincon rather than take the motorway which gave me chance drop in at  the Rio Velez for a very short stay.  As soon as a I arrived on the fields of the western bank I had White Wagtail, House Sparrow, Meadow Pipit and a Kestrel.  A Cormorant flew over and then I made my way over the river and down the track to the hide recording Black-headed Gull and Blackcap.


Just a very large, tabby "Moggie" or could it be something more exciting stalking out of the jungle down at the Rio Velez in Torre del Mar?
All very quiet at the hide with not a bird in site but then a four-legged movement caught my eye as a very large, tabby cat stalked out of the reeds and away.  Was it just a n ordinary domestic "moggy?"  Once gone, a pair of Moorhen put in an appearance and a female Black Redstart landed on the roof of the neighbouring treatment building.  A lone Grey Heron was resting in the field to me left of the building.
Resting Grey Heron Garza Real Ardea cinerea

Turning the car round in the gateway I stopped to photograph a very obliging Hoopoe and a Serin popped in to say hello.  Naturally, I recorded both Collared and Rock Dove and a Blackbird was seen before continuing on home for lunch.


The most obliging Hoopoe Abubilla Upupa epops - but without raised crest
Birds seen:
Cormorant, Heron, Kestrel, Moorhen, Black-headed Gull, Rock Dove, Collared Dove, Hoopoe, Meadow Pipit, White Wagtail, Blackbird, Blackcap, House Sparrow, Serin.


Check out the accompanying website at http://www.birdingaxarquia.weebly.com for the latest sightings, photographs  and additional information

No comments:

Post a Comment