Wednesday 13 February 2013

British Birding

Wednesday
Great Spotted Woodpecker Dendrocopos major

Just back from a visit to our little house in Stamford and managed to get three days birding in despite the atrocious weather.  It may be cold and windy here but t was very cold, windy and with snow back in Lincolnshire.  Although, to be fair, I did manage my birding before the snow arrived and on landing at Stansted early last week it was beautiful sunshine and remained so until I collected the rental car and set off for Stamford!

I had a final count of 71 species over the three days and whilst I did not mange to track down any Waxwings I was more than pl;eased with some of the birds that I did get a close look at including Whooper Swan, Smew (male and females), Red-breasted Merganser, Goosander, Fieldfare, Redwing, Goldcrest, Lesser Redpoll, Bullfinch and Yellowhammer.  In addition, whilst at Rutland Water I am pretty  sure that I got  distant view of both the visiting female Scaup and Long-tailed Duck.  I took very distant record shots but, alas, they are proving very inclusive.

Looking at the accompanying photograph, it reminds me of how we humans also close our eyes when really savouring something absolutely delicious!  Everyone, I suppose, to their own taste.
 
A more detailed, illustrated report has been published on my alternative blog which records birding activities away from Spain.  Those interested can check it out on: http://www.axarquiabirder.blogspot.com or simply CLICK HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment