Friday, 7 August 2026

Hayling Island and Farlington Marsh

Thursday 6 August 

The inland pool at the start of the trail with its Black-tailed Godwits Limosa limosa

Another very warm start to the day with mainly clear blue sky and very little cloud but a rather strong breeze as I arrived at the top car park on Hayling Island to walk the "Billy Trail" past the oyster beds at a almost 1030 o coincide with the low tide mark. Lots of people about and the car park full as I set off but very little to be seen.  A number of Black-headed Gulls at the water's edge in the harbour but once on the sea wall a good number on the same plus a few Herring Gulls on the shore line of the main Langstone Harbour.  Meanwhile, on the inner pool at the start of the Billy Line trail nineteen Black-tailed Godwits and looking back towards the car park I managed to also pick out a couple of Curlew and a single Little Egret.

lack-tailed Godwit Limosa limosa

A Woodpigeon flew across as I made my way down the rail and then took the narrow path past the former oyster beds.  A pair of Oystercatchers were noted in the first, empty bed along with a handful of Black-headed Gulls and a single fishing Common Tern.  Making my way past the beds a large flock of Starlings rose from behind the bushes.

Oystercatcher Haematopus ostralegus

The penultimate bed produced a lone Heron and even a Carrion Crow flew across the path ahead of me.  Finally, arriving at the bay in front of the lower car park, the water's edge produced a group of seven resting Little Egrets but nothing else.  

However, when at the breeding colony all the Mediterranean Gulls had departed but there was still about a dozen Black-headed Gulls present and I counted a further six Common Terns.  It would appear that at least two pairs were still making use of the floating rafts.

Common Terns Sterna hirundo still using the nesting platform

I, therefore, took the higher path back towards the newly resurfaced trail and back to the car park but also recording both a single Blackbird and Magpie.  Once at the car park I noticed a pair of Mute Swans on the water below the road bridge so completing my visit.

Grey Heron Ardea cinerea

Then followed the short drive back along the A27 to Farlington Marshes and a walk along the sea wall to the lake.  Making my way through the few trees I picked up a Woodpigeon and once on the sea wall three Carrion Crows plus scores of Black-headed and Herring Gulls out on the mud flats.  On the land side a Magpie flew away to the trees but nothing on the lake itself until I found the resting nineteen Shelduck on the far side.

Seven Canada Geese flew from the shore to the river behind me and scoping further down the river I found around 80 Canada Geese along with more gulls.  Deciding nothing more to see I decided to call it a day and as I turned to retrace my steps to the car park noticed the distant Little Egret out on the mud.

An empty oyster bed at low tide

Birds seen:

Canada Goose, Mute Swan, Shelduck, Little Egret, Heron, Oystercatcher, Black-tailed Godwit, Curlew, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Common Tern, Woodpigeon, Blackbird, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Starling.

Black-tailed Godwit Limosa limosa

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment