Sunday 5 May 2024

Workmans Lane, Warsash

Stock Dove Columba oenas

Sunday 5 May 

Light rain forecast today so out of the house just after 8 and managed an hour's walk down Workmans Lane at the top end of Warsash plus a very wet and muddy side walk along the bottom of the horse fields. As soon as I set off I was recording Robin, Collared Dove and Magpie and before half-way down the lane had also added Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow and many Blackbirds. A Dunnock was resting in a bush on my left and nearing the seasonal pool at the back of the field on my right noted  pair of Canada Geese on which, upon my return, also held a second pair of Shelduck.

Dunnock Prunella modularis

Checking the fields on my left I noted a few Jackdaws along with the Carrion Crows and also a pair of Shelduck resting in a small pool.  A handful of Starlings were close by and at the back of the field near the entry path to the stables, a quartet of feeding Whimbrel.

Whimbrel Numenius phaeopus

Once at the end of the lane adjacent to the entry to the horse field, I checked the nest box on the opposite side of the road in the local nature reserve and, as last year, noted that the Stock Doves seemed to have once again taken over so no sight of the local Little Owl.  Both Greenfinch and Blackbird were present in the nearby hedgerow along with more Wrens and Dunnocks.

Stock Doves Columba oenas at the intended Little Owl nest box!

Moving a little further down the lane I recorded my first of four Whitethroats in the area in addition to both Blue and Great Tits.  A Pheasant made a rapid departure from behind the hedge on my right and so back to walk along the very wet and muddy path a the bottom of the horse field.  More Carrion Crows and Jackdaws but the Whimbrels had departed, probably as a result of the gate being opened and the arrival of those going to attend the horses.

Jackdaw Corvid monedula

Making my way across the horse field a Goldfinch drinking from a puddle in the track in front and a pair of Mallards resting on the grass on the opposite side.  At the back of the field in the far distance another seven Canada Geese.

Whitethroat Sylvia communis

Time to make my way back to the top of the lane and noting the many Chiffchaff and more Whitethroats, Dunnocks and Wrens. Both Black-headed and Herring Gull flew over above me.

Wren Troglodytes troglodytes on the wire above

However, I did take a short walk into the field opposite and managed to find another couple of Stock Doves and as I left the scene a Linnet flew over.

Greenfinch Carduelis chloris

Birds seen:

Canada Goose, Shelduck, Mallard, Pheasant, Whimbrel, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Stock Dove, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Magpie, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Starling, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet.

Whitethroat Sylvia communis

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment