Thursday 24 August 2023

Workmans Lane, Warsash

Greater Black-backed Gull Larus marinus

Thursday 24 August

It seemed like a good time when I left home to take the car to the top of Workmans Lane and then walk my usual clockwise circuit.  rather on the dull side  and cloudy but no wind at all as I set off down the lane quickly recording Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow and Magpie.  Approaching the horse field I stopped to admire a trio of Linnets on the wires above me and then on into the horse field itself.  Moving along the track I found a Whitethroat atop a bush on my right and as I approached the fields on my right to check for Yellow Wagtails and Wheatears  amongst the horses the rain started; not just a spot or two but real rain and me just in my sleeveless and carrying both camera and binoculars.  What to do?  Obviously get back to the lane and at least find some shelter.

Whitethroat

But the rain appeared to be easing so remained a short while before moving on down the now path at the end of the lane towards the shore.  But more rain required a further pause before continuing on.  The pond at the bottom on the left held a quintet of Mallards and with the tide pushing the waders further up the beach good views of the single Turnstone along with 30 feeding Oystercatchers, a half-dozen Black-headed and a couple of Herring Gulls.  Off to my left below Solent Breezes more Herring Gulls along with a pair of Great Black-backed Gulls.  The marker posts just off the shore held a couple of resting Cormorants.

Oystercatchers Haematopus ostralegus

With the skies looking like more rain I decided to retrace my step rather than take the very exposed walk along the beach cliff followed by the open path back to Workmans Lane.  Just as well as the next, short shower came as I approached the electricity sub-station.  Whilst sheltering I watched a foraging Greenfinch and once back on the lane itself a stop to watch both Long-tailed Tits and a feeding Great Spotted Woodpecker.  Not a very clear view of the woodpecker as it had chosen a smaller tree covered in tiny branches - as can be seen. 

Can you spot the Great Spotted Woodpecker Dendrocopos major?

Continuing on up to the car I added both Robin and Great Tit to give a final tally of 17 species in the bare hour including sheltering stops.  Glad to be back in the dry!

Robin Erithacus rubecula

Birds seen:

Mallard, Cormorant, Oystercatcher, Turnstone, Black-headed Gull, Greater Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull, Woodpigeon, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Robin, Whitethroat, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Greenfinch, Linnet.

Herring Gull Larus argentatus

Greater Black-backed Gull Larus marinus

For the latest news follow the Axarquia Birds and Wildlife Facebook page for more photos and comments and the opportunity to share with the wider birding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment