Friday 7 February 2020

Rio Velez, Torre del Mar

Friday 7 February

A little later than anticipated but down at the local Rio Velez, Torre del Mar by 10.20 and a pleasant 80 minutes walking down to the beach and back.  All very quiet with no workers on the fields t my left and the river looking very muddy with some water following last week's heavy rain.  A single Moorhen on the far side a handful of the resident Rock Doves to welcome me.  Within minutes I was seeing many Blackbirds and all males.  A flock of over forty Cormorants were using the tall trees as their day-time roost and a single Heron put in an appearance.

A few of the tree-roosting Cormorants Cormoran Grande Phalacrocorax carbo
Countless Chiffchaffs everywhere and then a fly-over by half a dozen Monk Parakeets.  Very little to see from the hide apart from more Chiffchaff and a few Spotless Starlings in the opposite reeds.  A Hoopoe was busy calling as I walked on down to the beach where I found a large raft of gulls on the open water.  Mainly Black-headed but also a score of Mediterranean and maybe a dozen Lesser Black-backed Gulls.  As I checked out the gulls I had a couple of distant Gannets fly through the scope.  On the river a pair of Shoveler and another eight Mallards to add to the half-dozen already seen.  Walking back the car I recorded a couple of Meadow Pipits in front of the hide and then a trio of Goldfinches plus a single Black Redstart and a pair of Serin.  At the last minute a Cattle Egret took off from the river below the car.

Female Black Redstart Colirrojo Tizon Phoenicurus ochruros
Taking the long way out so that I passed the wood-burner factory I found a further five Cattle Egrets and a quartet of White Wagtails on the field being tilled.  Further on I found more Mallards in the upstream river and a single Kentish Plover and then a pair of Hoopes flew across the river away from me.  A large flock of Spotless Starlings on the wires above me as I made my exit including a four Common Starlings.

Meadow Pipit Bisbita Pratense Anthus pratensis
Birds seen:
Mallard, Shoveler, Gannet, Cormorant, Cattle Egret, Heron, Moorhen, Coot, Kentish Plover, Black-headed Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Rock Dove, Collared Dove, Monk Parakeet, Hoopoe, Meadow Pipit, White Wagtail, Crested Lark, Black Redstart, Blackbird, Cetti's Warbler, Chiffchaff, Common Starling, Spotless Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Serin, Goldfinch.


Check out the accompanying website at http://www.birdingaxarquia.weebly.com for the latest sightings, photographs and additional information 

No comments:

Post a Comment