Tuesday 26 November 2019

Ventas de Zafarraya

Tuesday 26 November

Lovely start to the day with sun and just a light wisp of cloud albeit quite windy as I drove up to the old railway track at Ventas de Zafarraya.  Both Black Redstart and Sardinian Warbler as I approached the mirador and then greeted by another pair of Black Redstart.  Above me a quartet of Ibex Capra sibirica feeding happily unawares, at the time, of my presence as I walked through the old tunnel I had my first Choughs as I exited.  The first Stonechat of the morning was recorded quickly followed by a Thekla Lark

Thekla Lark Cogujada Montesina Galerida theklae

Quite a long time before I eventually found my first Black Wheatear and no sooner found then a Song Thrush flew out of the nearby bush and dived into the next vegetation much to my delight.

Male Ibex Capra sibirica
Not a lot of birds recorded as I moved on to the growing fields and driving through same quickly added Spotless Starling, House Sparrow and a couple of Greenfinch.  making my way to the pond I found at least a score of Mallard but on the field opposite, now covered but with rotting tomatoes on the ground and some muddy puddles, a lovely mixture of Linnets, House Sparrows, Bramblings and Chaffinches.  Then also Meadow Pipits, Short-toed LarksCrested Lark and White Wagtails.  What a field and especially all those lovely visiting wintering Brambling looking most resplendent.


First Bramblings Pinzon Real Fringilla montifringilla of the winter
A drive up through the "Magpie Woods" and down to the left through the arable fields eventually found very many (common) Magpies followed by Blackbird, Collared Dove and even a small flock of Azure-winged Magpies.  Just a few Corn Bunting and a trio of Red-legged Partridge and making my way back I looked to the left to enjoy the spectacle of the early snow on the Sierras.

If so inclined, time to take out the ski equipment now that the white stuff has arrived
And so to El Robledal for a fleeting visit which produced only a Kestrel and at least six Jays along with more Blackbirds, Goldfinches and Black Redstarts.

Meadow Pipit Bisbita Pratense Anthus pratensis

Young male or female Ibex Capra sibirica
Birds seen:
Mallard, Red-legged Partridge, Kestrel, Rock Dove, Collared Dove, Short-toed Lark, Crested Lark, Thekla Lark, Meadow Pipit, White Wagtail, Black Redstart, Stonechat, Black Wheatear, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Sardinian Warbler, Jay, Azure-winged Magpie, Magpie, Chough, Spotless Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Brambling, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Corn Bunting.


Check out the accompanying website at http://www.birdingaxarquia.weebly.com for the latest sightings, photographs and additional information

No comments:

Post a Comment