Monday 28 November 2016

For a change - Cleethorpes on the Lincolnshire coast!

Monday 28 November

Back in the UK for a week to see family and check out some building work on the house so hope to visit either Frampton Marshes near Boston or maybe the Norfolk coast if the eye permits.  Meanwhile, I have received a lovely report from my friend Chris Bell over here who is always off somewhere or other finding exciting birds and his latest message is re a visit to Cleethorpes last Saturday.  I always think this part of the Lincolnshire coast is cold in high summer so goodness knows how many layers are required at this time of the year!  Thanks Chris and I can share your experience with other readers of the blog.

Saturday 26 November


... thought I would tell you of the goodies I had had at Cleethorpes yesterday   (Saturday 26th).

The most unexpected were 4 Scoter close in shore (5m), although I was scoping them from 80 then 40m across the beach.  My immediate reaction on finding them with the bins was Harlequin Duck, but sense quickly returned as I realised that they were female Velvet Scoter.  Immediately prior to this I had my first Snow Buntings of the season, at least 19 , but there might well have been a 20th. They were very skittish and were feeding  in low vegetation, and when they came close to me were just as difficult to count.

Many of the expected species were about, with many Yellowhammer in the dunes area, the approximate150 Linnet too quick to disappear into vegetation for me to be examined for the possibility of  Twite, Sky Lark, Reed Bunting,  single male Stonechat, 3 Grey Plover tucked in with the  many Redshank, Curlew and Little Egret.

It was very sunny at Cleethorpes , with the forecast  fog lying well offshore, however the  tide brought it in spoiling viewing the birds at high tide.  However, before this thousands of Knot swirled their way along the shore, many Oystercatcher and Sanderling feeding ahead of the incoming water with fewer Dunlin and fewer still Turnstone and Curlew.  Of course,Brent Geese and Shelduck were about in goodly numbers and the local flock of feral Barnacle Geese was at 100+ level.

So a very enjoyable day which, if you are in the UK, my report  might tempt you to the coast, possibly the Norfolk coast.

It most certainly might Chris with the only possible constraint a change in the weather, the eye playing up and/or builders wanting to visit.  But I certainly want top get one day somewhere so, as they say, watch this space. 


Check out the accompanying website at http://www.birdingaxarquia.weebly.com for the latest sightings, photographs and additional information.

No comments:

Post a Comment